PS Disco

Greetings, Brian:  I'm desperately hoping that you can give me a solution to this issue, or at least some insight.  Out of the blue, when I try to open a file in PS, regardless of the type, instead of the photo opening, I get this madly flashing screen.  It's hard to explain, since I can't send you a video file, but it rapidly flashes black and white, like a disco ball is in my screen.  

I ran a health check on the PC (attached).  I also went through all the apps and programs that I don't use, and I uninstalled several.  And yes, I uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled-at least four times in the last week or so, with no change in results.  I use Bridge, and photos open fine in ACR; it's when I then open the file in PS that it blows up on me.  The photo shows in the History window on the side, but not on the main screen.  I have two windows behind me, so that's why the Flash Screen photo looks like there are headlights.  

Just for giggles, I opened one of the files in Lightroom to see if it happened there, but it did not.  And no, I don't use LR to edit; it's just there as part of the Adobe package I pay for.  I suppose I should change that to the PS only package and save some money.  

Do you have any idea what causes this, how I can fix it, or at least where to go next?  Thanks much.  

Mary Marty

PC Health.jpg

ACR.jpg

Flash Screen.jpg

I have seen people post about this issue before. Unfortunately, it's Photoshop not liking your Video Card and/or Video Card's Drivers. Today's Modern Photoshop CC relies heavily on the Graphics Processor and Dedicated Video Memory. If you do not have a "Beefy" Video Card or the Card / Drivers are "Orphaned" by the manufacturer, you are kinda SOL.

People like the "Subscription Model" because they get access to the most recent versions of software, which is fine. But the problem is, their computer's hardware needs to keep pace with the software. As each version of Photoshop gets released, people will continue to have problems, especially if their computers are 5+ years old and some folks could have issues on low-powered computers that are only 3 years old! Gone are the days where you buy PS CS6 and run the software for 10+ years. Going from PS CC 23 from PS CC 22 is a whole new software package and before you upgrade, you really need to figure out what hardware you have and ask yourself will it support the new version of Photoshop. 

Now, what can you do? Try Damien's Tip. It may work. Other than that, see if there are any updated Video Card Drivers for your computer. If that doesn't work, you will need to downgrade to a version of PS that last worked with your computer and stay there...no upgrading for you! Other than that, if you want to run the latest version of PS, you are looking at a new computer.

While it's true you could upgrade the Video Card, you'd more than likely have to upgrade the Power Supply as well. Depending on your Make / Model of computer, you may not be able to install a higher wattage Power Supply to support the new Video Card. I also can't recommend doing something like this to a 5+ year old computer. Take that $800 - $1000 you'd spend and put it towards a new computer.

Also, we need to see the Device Manager and know specifically what Make / Model your computer is. With 16GB RAM and it being 3 years old, I have a feeling you are one of the computers that I'm talking about that are around the 3 year mark; they don't have the Horsepower to run the current Versions of PS CC. Especially if the Video Card uses the computer's RAM and CPU in order to function.

3 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Somebody else who had the flashing screen thing said they turned on this setting to fix it:

temp.thumb.png.800904bf1e450fc7c7a987efdb232bc3.png

But I haven't tested it myself, so I can't guarantee anything.

This worked!  Thank you, thank you.  I will follow up with Brian and his suggestions regarding the video card and/or migrating back to a previous version of PS.  I know there's a tab somewhere on here for monetary thanks.  You are incredible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Also, we need to see the Device Manager and know specifically what Make / Model your computer is. With 16GB RAM and it being 3 years old, I have a feeling you are one of the computers that I'm talking about that are around the 3 year mark; they don't have the Horsepower to run the current Versions of PS CC. Especially if the Video Card uses the computer's RAM and CPU in order to function.

Brian, I followed Damien's tip above, and it worked.  I understand the ramifications of all the PS upgrades-I'm not opposed to just going back to CS6.  I attached two files that seem to show that I still have that version in my folders-am I correct in thinking that I can delete my subscription and migrate back to the old version using these files?  

My device manager shows what they say is the lastest version of drivers.  This computer was an older Dell that I had; a local company upgraded the RAM and some other things that I can't remember, but I believe that they used the original board, so some of the items listed might not look like a Dell.  

Thank you for your input.  

Screenshot 2023-04-22 182638.jpg

CS6.jpg

PS6 2.jpg

NVIDIA.jpg

Unfortunately, your video card was new around 2014, so we are around the 9 year mark technology-wise, which is ancient in computer terms. I’m glad you were able to get it going, but I say the days are numbered with compatibility with newer versions of PS. Adobe really changed things with video cards around 2021. 

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Unfortunately, your video card was new around 2014, so we are around the 9 year mark technology-wise, which is ancient in computer terms. I’m glad you were able to get it going, but I say the days are numbered with compatibility with newer versions of PS. Adobe really changed things with video cards around 2021. 

Welp-guess I need to search for new options.  Again, thank you!  You all rock.  

I like the NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB Video Card using the NVIDIA Studio Drivers. Either the 3070, 3070 Ti or 3080 is fine. 3090...Photoshop won't take advantage of the GPU, you are wasting your money. Unless you are playing Video Games, then that's a different story. Speaking of Video Games, I mentioned the NVIDIA Studio Drivers. The drivers that are the default ones are meant for Video Games. The Studio Drivers are optimized for Lightroom and Photoshop usage.