camera raw gpu acceleration windows 10

Hi Brian, I keep running into this error when using camera raw -GPU Graphics Acceleration not supported-, but I can't figure out how to turn it off!!!  

It's a Dell XPS 8930.  I wonder if I need to disable the Intel and only use the NVIDIA?  Both appear to be up to date... Thanks!

camera raw gpu acceleration.JPG

display adapters.JPG

Edited by MamaMonkey

First, head to Dell’s Website and use their scanning tool to see if there are any updates for your whole computer. You can not only trust Microsoft, often they get things wrong with their generic drivers. The Manufacturer’s OEM Drivers are always preferred. 

Then, yes…you want to be using the NVIDIA Card only with any of Adobe’s products. Keep in mind, the current versions of PS are requiring A LOT more Horsepower from current Graphics Cards, so even though the best choice out of the two is the NVIDIA, it may not be enough. 

Let’s jump off that bridge when we get to it. :D 

In addition, NVIDIA has released the Studio Drivers which are meant for programs like Photoshop and LR. It seems that your card did make the cut, though it’s at the bottom of the list. 

I would definitely tell PS to use the NVIDIA Card, and if there are no drivers on Dell’s website, try the Studio Drivers. 

Hi @Brian,  Thanks for all the help!  I went to dell and there was nothing to update there.  I did go to the Studio Drivers link you provided and downloaded that.  When I go to Camera Raw Preferences the same error is there.  When I look at my Display Adapters it lists the same Intel and Nvidia as before as well... 

And now something awful happened.  I must have disabled my Intel display adapter because my monitor cannot be brought out of Power Save Mode (Dell u2412m).

I've tried rebooting several times.  F8, win+ctrl+shift b, ctrl alt delete, unplugging the monitor, etc 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

First things first, HOW is your external display connected? Can you take a photo with your smartphone and post it? I’m thinking things aren’t hooked up correctly. 

Let’s start there. 

• Thanks 1

…and that is the reason it’s not working. You are using the built-in graphics card, which is the Intel one you just disabled. No wonder that port isn’t working, you shut it off ‘ya Wally! (That’s Australian for Dork.) 

• Haha 1

See these ports, ON THE NVIDIA CARD?

IMG_1889.thumb.jpeg.ea3672e868fbaf7db91fc8632e480b34.jpeg

Lets hook up the Monitor there and see if you get any sort of video. You have been plugged into the wrong video port probably since you first hooked up the computer. 

As far as the error message, we will jump off that Bridge next. One thing at a time. 

• Thanks 1

Head to Device Manager. I want you to take a screenshot of your Video Cards and post things here. The Intel one should be disabled.

Second, I found this on Adobe's Website:

ScreenShot2023-05-09at10_09_49PM.thumb.png.622433318bb85126fc8bb07ba8013bc3.png

Basically, you need to go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and add Photoshop.exe and sniffer.exe into the Program Settings. Then you change the graphics processor to High Performance.

Third, here is the list of various video cards and their performance with Photoshop. Even though Adobe states that a score of "2000 or better" is all you need, I call Bullshit. That's like Microsoft stating that Windows 10 only needs 4GB of RAM or Windows 7 only needed 2GB. You and I both know that's for Windows functioning only, not running any real software with those amounts of RAM. In short, your Video Card is getting towards the bottom of the list and with each and every update that you do with Photoshop CC, pushes the card to not being compatible. It seems that your GTX 1060Ti only has a score of around 4300 or so; the video cards that I recommend which are the RTX 3070 and 3080 Series have scores between 12,000 and 16,000. Big difference.

Fourth, this is the sneaky thing with Dell and other manufacturers. Sure it's a NVIDIA Card, but it may not be one with 100% of the horsepower of true NVIDIA cards you buy off the shelf. This saves the manufacturers money, but you get screwed in the end when software starts complaining. So in reality, if you can't get the drivers to increase performance of the video card to make Photoshop happy, chances are you are looking at replacing the video card and possibly the power supply to support the new video card. It's up to you if you want to throw $1000 or so in doing this to your computer. I usually recommend a 850 Watt Power Supply to go with a NVIDIA RTX 3070, NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti or NVIDIA RTX 3080.

11 hours ago, Brian said:

Fourth, this is the sneaky thing with Dell and other manufacturers. Sure it's a NVIDIA Card, but it may not be one with 100% of the horsepower of true NVIDIA cards you buy off the shelf. This saves the manufacturers money, but you get screwed in the end when software starts complaining. So in reality, if you can't get the drivers to increase performance of the video card to make Photoshop happy, chances are you are looking at replacing the video card and possibly the power supply to support the new video card. It's up to you if you want to throw $1000 or so in doing this to your computer. I usually recommend a 850 Watt Power Supply to go with a NVIDIA RTX 3070, NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti or NVIDIA RTX 3080.

no way would the hubby be in for dumping $1k into this computer or for buying a new pc either 🙅‍♀️ 😆

and now I have this lovely error

I should have mentioned earlier- I am using Bridge 12.0.4 because the most  up to date version of Bridge was buggy in the past.  Both versions are listed.  Maybe that is also causing some conflict?

acr gpu.JPG

bridge.JPG

Ok. ACR relies on the GPU in order to function. So it’s complaining that it feels left out from not being added to the High Performance list. I’m not at my computer right now, but you will need to find the ACR.exe file (or whatever it’s called,) and add it to the high performance list just like you did with Photoshop.exe. 

…and this is a Hail Mary Pass. If ACR still doesn’t like your Graphics Card, you are either buying a new card, replacing your computer or downgrading Photoshop, ACR, and Bridge to an older version that last worked. You will then never upgrade to a new version of PS. The days of running a modern copy of PS on a 5 year old computer are over. 

It’s only money, right? 

ACR, Photoshop and Bridge are all separate programs. Normally, it’s best to have everything at the same level, but with crappy programming and under-powered hardware, you might be forced to mix-and-match. 

Having different versions isn’t causing your problem, your underpowered video card is. With each and every update to Adobe’s software, the more the hardware requirements increase as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian said:

…and this is a Hail Mary Pass. If ACR still doesn’t like your Graphics Card, you are either buying a new card, replacing your computer or downgrading Photoshop, ACR, and Bridge to an older version that last worked. You will then never upgrade to a new version of PS. The days of running a modern copy of PS on a 5 year old computer are over. 

It’s only money, right? 

Maybe it's only money if you have a lot of it?!  Haha

At any rate, I found that sniffer file, but now NVIDIA won't show the Select Graphics Processor drop down.  Also, I can't find the camera raw exe file anywhere!

Thanks for all your time and help with this!!!

sniffer.JPG

where is acr exe.JPG

Yippee!!! I'm glad you got things working. I hate having to waste/spend money if I don't have to.

Now, my remarks stand; your video card's days are numbered. Hopefully things will work as it should, but now is the time to start saving for a new something. Whether that's a new computer or updated video card. I would also be reluctant to upgrade to a whole new version of Photoshop going forward. Sure, incremental updates / bug fixes and such are perfectly fine, but going from PS 24 CC to PS 25 CC more than likely will cause issues in the future.

• Thanks 1

Age has nothing to do with things in this case, well it does to a certain degree. It boils down to "Buy it Right - Buy it Once." If you have noticed I generally recommend spending a little more up-front to get better / beefier hardware; this is intentional, which in turn helps you down the line as software starts to overtake hardware in performance. The problem is, you bought a "3 Door Honda Civic Hatchback" and now need to go off-roading / driving through running rivers in the mountains. Your Hatchback has no problems getting you from your house to the Grocery Store and back, but driving through mud and rocks? You need a 4-Wheel Drive Vehicle that is suited for that sort of thing. It's not the Hatchback's fault, even if it is only 3.5 years old. It's just not meant for that sort of thing. Technology moves fast. 3.5 years is a whole product generation.

The other main issue is, to keep people hooked on the Subscription Plan from Adobe, they are forced into pushing out new modules and features. Since Video Cards are REALLY GOOD at crunching numbers (which is why they are used for crypto-mining,) and creating graphics is all numbers, it just makes sense for Software Developers to utilize Video Cards. As time goes on, when it comes to Adobe's products, is they are relying more and more on the Video Card! In fact, in 2023 and beyond, THE CHOICE OF VIDEO CARD IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE CHOICE OF CPU!! The days of PS of running for YEARS are over. With each and every major update, one must check their hardware against the new software. More often than not, unless you bought a video card that has at LEAST 8GB of Video RAM, you are rolling the proverbial dice on whether things will work properly or not. Photoshop is a Professional Program. It's just so widely used that people forget that. If you want "Consumer Grade," that's PS Elements. But even then you still need a decent Video Card.