Printing issues

Hi Damien... I recently had a proofbook made thru my professional lab and when I got it my heart sank! The photos was fuzzy and just looked terrible.  I contacted the lab and they told me my photos was to big and I needed to change my JPEG option settings.  That 12 is to big.  Now everything I thought I knew seems to be all wrong and now I'm also worried about my regular printing besides just the proofs. Should I be doing different settings than this on all photos as well?  Can you help me I'm so worried cause I have a client wanting 3 proofbooks. Ugh

20161021_042735.jpg

Yes, 12 is always too big for printing.  10 is the absolute maximum to use, and depending on the situation, much lower can be fine.

Can you give me some more information about the photobook?  Did you set it up using a template?  Or did you design the pages from scratch?  Or was there no page design at all - was it just a matter of providing image files for them to print on the pages?

I did do sharpening. But I save it at the settings it recommends.  I just click it over to JPEG I never do any adjustments to it... I have a feeling that's wrong isn't it.  

Will the sharpening class teach me all that?   I just took the raw class and I was going to take another class but it sometime wanted go over my photos to see what I learned and I've only done a few so far so I figured I would fail