Monitor Help

Ratbag

Ok so I brought myself a new 4k monitor, after asking on here about it.  What I didn't check and complely didn't even think of is my MacBook Pro  is 2011 and doesn't support the high resolution screen at its best.

I can get everything to work but not at a high resolution that the screen is capable of..ive connected my monitor to my Mac using a thunderbolt cable to HDMI, so what I'm asking and hoping for is there anything else I can do to get the most out of my new screen?

Thanks

Two choices:

1. Return the Display and get one that is 1920x1080 resolution  something that's IPS based and isn't 4K  

2. Buy a new laptop/computer. If you choose to stick with the 4K Display, you'll need a model that has a separate & dedicated Graphics Procesor with its own Video Memory. 2GB Video RAM is good, 4GB is better. The problem with laptops is you really can't upgrade then after the fact. When you want to increase the horsepower, you need to purchase a current model. 

Thanks Brian, one day ill upgrade my computer but right now i don't see the need for it.  

Is it ok to keep the 4k monitor and run it at a lower resolution?  As in will my images be ok from doing this?

It should be fine. Honestly, this is a personal thing. If the monitor looks good to your eyes and doesn't cause eye-fatigue at a lower resolution, then you should be good. From a hardware standpoint, it won't damage anything. 

• Like 1