So Slow!

My computer is so slow! It took 3 hours to export 300 PNG files for a video and takes forever to load. I have a PC desktop running Windows 11 and Photoshop 24.6. It is over 2 years old, and has 32GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 232GB free out of 936GB. The last time I shut down was more than 24 hours ago. I run a cleanup program about once a month. —

is it time for a new one? Anything I can do to speed it up?

What Video Card do you have? 232GB Free is microscopic for resolutions of what you are trying to do. I'd honestly have at least a 1TB or larger HD that's dedicated for your Scratch Disk if you are going to be doing things like this. 64GB of RAM (or more) is also a good thing.

I have dealt with file sizes in resolution like that with my Nikon D850. The solution is to upgrade your hardware, what you have is not enough. Hell, 64GB just barely keeps up with my Mac. My new computer will have more RAM!

In the short term, try doing 1/3 of the images at a time, then combine the three main images. That's what I'm doing now with my large Panoramas. Trying to do everything at once makes my computer cry.

• Like 1

To answer your question, the most important choice going forward when it comes to Adobe's Products is the Choice of Video Card!! Believe it or not, it is NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE CHOICE OF CPU!!

For heavy duty things like Panos or Image Stacking, the more RAM you have, the better, (at LEAST 64GB.) The higher-end the Video Card, the better. At least a NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti with 8GB Dedicated Video RAM. Hell, the 4000 Series is looking better going into 2024. I'd have at least 1TB-2TB of space available for the Scratch Disk as well, so either your Main HD needs to increase in capacity, or I'd recommend having a dedicated drive just for Photoshop. Also, your power supply needs to be able to support the high-end video card, and I'd recommend around 850 Watts in 2023.

• Like 1

@Brian Thank you! SO - I'm looking at a whole new computer or adding to what I currently have?  Sorry for the late reply,  I went on vacation and forgot all about this but now photography season is ramping up and I'm crying with how slow it is again! 

Upgrade Ram to 64+ 

Upgrade Video Card to 4000 Series

Upgrade to 1-2 TB of scratch Disk, 

Am I reading that correctly?

I'd actually get a NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti or RTX 3080 instead of a 4000 series. If you go up to the 4000 series, you are going to be buying a lot of stuff...well, you will end up replacing everything. Plus, with the NVIDIA 4000 Series, I'm still reading of people having problems, melted power connectors...to me they need to work out the bugs. In addition, to really take advantage of the power of a 4000 Series, you will most likely need a new Motherboard, then a CPU to work with the faster Motherboard, then RAM to interface with the new Motherboard and CPU, then a higher wattage Power Supply to support everything. Of course the larger HD, and...and...and...

OH! Then you try to install a NVIDIA 4000 Series Card without realizing just how large they can get, so you will replace your computer case. How large? Here is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 in this Lian Li case, and it barely fits:

ScreenShot2023-08-29at8_17_56PM.thumb.png.478a74ed7b74cb9cfeefa8a68d107a50.png

So...upgrading Video Cards can be a very slippery and expensive slope. :D

I'd say if you get a 3070Ti or 3080 and increase the RAM to 64GB, you probably can get another 1-2 years out of your computer, which would allow you to save up for one. (Budget $3000 in 2024.)

I've purchased the 1TB version of this Samsung Drive multiple times, to install in my family's computers. The 2TB Model isn't too expensive:

SAMSUNG Electronics 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E2T0B/AM) - $120 

What I would do is clone your existing HD from the 1TB that you have and put it on the 2TB, then use the existing 1TB for PS Scratch Disk type of things. You could take you computer to a local repair shop and they could install things / clone the drive if you aren't comfortable doing this stuff.

I'm not sure 1-2 years is worth it, I have the $$ if I can convince the hubby and then my son can maybe IT this thing to his hearts content!  If I were to buy a new one for the $3000 budget, how many years could I "expect" that to last? I saw on your Mac article you say 7-8 years for the build you suggested, wondering a time frame on PC's. 

I'd say @ $3000, you should be able to get around 7 years or so. The biggest cost of the whole build will be a NVIDIA RTX 4000 Series Cards. A RTX 4080 will set you back $1200, then you have to purchase the rest of the computer. If you are determined to replace your computer, just go the Full Monty.