Letters

Josie Stahl

Hi Damien, is it possible to edit out the lettering on the tshirt? I've tried cloning and the texture made it really, really difficult.

SOOC, SOOR, my attempt at using frequency separation, raw crop, crop with frequency separation 

IMG_1277 copy.jpg

IMG_1277SOOR.jpg

IMG_1277FS.jpg

IMG_1277RAWcrop.jpg

IMG_1277FScrop.jpg

Wow!! That looks great!  I don't consider myself a frequency separation expert at all. I just followed somebody's tutorial online that had previously worked for me. Can you tell me how you did it? Do you have a tutorial?

It's old school FS.  People like me were doing FS way before it had a name.

1. Duplicate the Background layer twice.  Change both of them to smart objects.
  2. Hide the top layer, then apply Gaussian Blur to the bottom layer, to get rid of the texture.
  3. Add the blank layer and clone out the letters.
  4. (Not shown in the PSD) Group those two layers and add a layer mask to the group, and mask.
  5. Return to the top layer and apply the High Pass.
  6. Add the blank layer and smooth the texture using the Mixer Brush.
  7. Put both those layers into a group, then change the group blend mode to Linear Light, then add the layer mask and mask.

Thank you for that explanation, Damien. 

When applying the High Pass filter, how do you decide on the setting for it? I just used the setting you did in your file.

I am stuck on the mixer brush step. I have used the mixer brush exactly 1 time before today. I have played with it and watched some videos on how it works but I cannot find how to do what you did in that last step. Any advice you can give me or keywords to look it up myself? 

1 hour ago, Josie Stahl said:

When applying the High Pass filter, how do you decide on the setting for it? I just used the setting you did in your file.

Aim for the best representation of the stripes in the fabric.

Too low, not stripy enough.  Too high, other texture starts to appear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josie Stahl said:

I am stuck on the mixer brush step. I have used the mixer brush exactly 1 time before today. I have played with it and watched some videos on how it works but I cannot find how to do what you did in that last step. Any advice you can give me or keywords to look it up myself?

I'm fairly new to it myself.  I just used the default settings, and swiped aggressively with it.

• Haha 1