Best way to extend image to cover canvas wrap area

Snook

Hey Damien

I've been going through your tutorial on preparing images for a wrapped canvas and I'm feeling a bit stuck. I took a photo a couple of nights ago and framed it exactly as I wanted it and even ended up using a couple of other shots to fill in areas that needed a bit extra, so there's really no extra parts of the image that I planned to crop out. While I know you should shoot loosely if there's any chance of your photo ending up on a canvas etc.. I only shot this for me and some friends and family have gotten a bit excited about it and I've been asked for prints and a canvas. The canvas is 20cm x 30cm (8"x12") and I've created the new document, extended the canvas size in black for the wrap area and and placed my photo, as per your tutorial, and I've attached a screen shot of this. Obviously I can stretch the image out a bit and cut some off of what you will see when the canvas is hanging up but a huge part of what people seem to love about the photo is how high the Milky Way goes up and the general composition, so I feel like I'd be losing impact by just stretching it out to cover the whole wrap area (although the ground at the bottom is so narrow that I'd have to closet some of it in to the wrap area or the house would be sitting on the bottom of the canvas). I've added a second screen shot with the image extended out to cover the whole wrap (reduced to 70% opacity) but I've had to push it up so that there's still ground under the house and would have to clone in the black area at the bottom of the frame. Because I have to push the image up so much to compensate for the narrow ground area, I lose even more of the Milky Way than I otherwise would. The way the light and colours change through the sky make me feel like it's an impossible job to clone the wrap areas in and I don't think I'm too shabby at cloning in general (although obviously not as good as you are). Do you have any suggestions on what the best way is to get the wrap areas filled without losing a huge chunk of the photo in the area that will be visible?

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 9.15.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 9.35.21 PM.png

ETA: I put this in here rather than in preparing for print as it's more about the cloning/editing part than the preparation process, if that makes sense?

Edited by Snook

I had thought that the the tones and light/dark areas wouldn't match up terribly well doing that? I'm very happy to be corrected though. I'm about to head to bed but I can try it tomorrow and report back. 

18 minutes ago, Snook said:

I had thought that the the tones and light/dark areas wouldn't match up terribly well doing that? I'm very happy to be corrected though. I'm about to head to bed but I can try it tomorrow and report back. 

Try it out and see. :) Or you can go with a simple black border and leave all of the image on the front of the canvas.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Snook said:

Mirroring means that you flip the bit you copy, so you get a mirror image -- so the exact same tones will be touching the edges, and you'll get a reverse gradient out towards the opposite side.  Voila, perfect matching. ;)

But yes, try it out, and if it doesn't work, I'd go with a plain black edge rather than an image wrap.

Thanks. I know what mirroring is but if a gradient is flipped, the flipped part has the gradient running in the opposite direction and looks off. Anyway, I'm just organizing coffee and then I'll give it a crack and let you know how I get on. I'd like to avoid using black for the wrap as I don't like how it looks. Thanks for your help. 

This is what it looks like with the wrap area filled with mirrored parts of the image and using two layers for the top section, one with the Milky way flipped both vertical and horizontal so it's going in the right direction and one for the rest of the area just flipped vertical. I'll need to do a lot of cloning to resolve the mirrored patterns that look odd and I have no idea how I'll fix the dark line that is visible where the right side was added because the edge of the original frame was darker than the rest . Anyway, having done this I put it in to the lab's software to make sure what I'd done would fully cover the wrap area before I do any more work on it and they don't have an option for me filling the wrap area. I have the choice to fill with a solid colour or have them mirror the image to fill the space, which is going to look like crap with straight mirroring and no other work done and the Milky Way will bend back to the left if they do that. I think I'm going to have to ring them again on Monday when they open and talk about what they can do because I'm not spending potentially hours getting it perfect only to not be able to use it anyway.

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 1.32.30 PM.png

Atkins Technicolour in Adelaide. They're a fantastic lab and I love their work and customer service but I've never ordered a wrap through them before. They have one lot of software for non pros and another one for pros and since I'm not a pro, I've got the first kind. I suspect they wouldn't expect non pros to know how to prepare the wrap so they do it for them but unless I go with plain black, it's not going to work with this image. 

I might contact the person who wants the canvas and see if they're okay with black if I can't submit the wrap area myself. I really don't want to use a different lab because I'm calibrated to match this lab and my PSA is based on prints from this lab. 

She wants the photo on the wrap. Thanks for your help, Christina. I'll keep working on the editing for the wrap and if after I speak to the lab on Monday there's no way for them to do it (which I find hard to imagine) I'll have to risk using a different lab. 

Can I please get a second set of eyes on this to see if there are any issues I've overlooked? This is the original image with 1.5" canvas wrap on each side filled in. I just want to make sure I haven't missed any obvious duplications/patterns etc..  as I'm going a bit crosseyed at this point.. lol. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 3.25.06 PM.png