Cleaning up my old MacBook

HI Brian, I know you have touched upon this before but I couldn't see a thread for 2023.  

Background: In 2023 I bought a new MacBook as my old one was about 8 years old and the battery doesn't hold a charge very long. I decided to keep the old MacBook for travelling, (email, social media, netflix) - figuring I can plug it in and if I lost it or it was stolen - better it than my new MacBook. So I backed up the old MacBook and transferred everything to the new one. Then I deleted all the documents from my old MacBook, this left my hard drive about 60% full. Now a few months have gone by and my hard drive on the old MacBook is almost full.  I am not sure what is going on. The system information looks like the attached file, but when I "click" on documents there is nothing showing on the Finder. It also says I have 55.75 gb for iCloud drive. If info is on my iCloud why is it taking up room on my hard drive? This is confusing...

I am not sure how to proceed, but I would like to clean up this old MacBook so it is somewhat useful for the reasons I already listed. I remember there was an app that you recommend to help with this task but I don't remember the name.  I am running Monterey 12.7 on the old MacBook.

Thank you for your help and time.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 5.55.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 5.55.29 PM.png

Because a copy of that data is on your iCloud account, but is also stored locally on your HD. I’d turn off iCloud Syncing on your old laptop and go hunting for files that are occupying space. Then delete the local files and that should free up some space. Also, if you use the same iCloud account on your new laptop, I will bet the files from your new laptop are being stored / uploaded to the iCloud Account, THEN are being pushed down to your old laptop. 

Brian how do I turn off iCloud syncing on the old Mac but keep the syncing going on the new Mac? Aren’t the settings in my profile file, settings, iCloud, global to me and all my devices?