Any problems with Sonoma 14.3

You have a M2 Mac. You are fine to upgrade. It's the Intel-based Macs, 2020 models and earlier, seem to have the most problems with the modern macOS.

Yep. You will need the latest version of PS to go with your new OS. Or just wait until Adobe releases another round of updates. 

If you update your Mac OS to the latest version of Sonoma, you will need to at least be on Photoshop Version 24.7.1, or better yet 24.7.2...which is Photoshop CC 2023. Check what version of PS that you have before upgrading anything. If you are on 24.7.2, you should be fine, but there still could be incompatibility issues forcing you to upgrade PS.

I don't have money for a new Mac right now, and refuse to upgrade since everything I have is working, so you are kinda on your own. I still on Big Sur, a 2017 iMac and PS CC 2023. :)

Found this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/photoshop-problems-with-sonoma/idi-p/14138192

Found this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/issue-photoshop-2024-with-mac-os-sonoma/idi-p/14134585

and found this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

From what I can tell, there isn't that much incompatibility, but I'm not going to lie to you and say you won't have goofy problems. Try it and find out. If something happens and there aren't any work-arounds / fixes, you might have to upgrade or downgrade.

Basically, if you have sessions to edit and photos to deliver to clients, please get those out the door & delivered first!!! DO NOT BE A MORON. Performing an OS Upgrade AND Photoshop Upgrade at the same time is risky. Sometimes nothing happens, other times a person is back in here begging for help because their computer went wonky and they need to deliver 23 Mini Sessions within a few days.

LOL, no, I won't be a moron and start this with sessions needing to be edited, but I stay busy.. sooooo. It's not a big deal; honestly, everything works fine. The only reason I wanted to upgrade to PS 2024 is because of the AI feature where hands, feet, and the harder stuff can be easily edited out. Especially the sessions where parents help spot a newborn, and we have hands to edit out. It would make editing go smoothly. I am not a fan of the AI world but it's here. Thank you for the links! 

Since you have a new M2 Mac, and everything is working fine, go ahead and upgrade Sonoma to the current version, then upgrade Photoshop; especially if you want all of the AI tool improvements. Report back if you have any issues, I'm curious.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:17 PM, Brian said:

I don't have money for a new Mac right now, and refuse to upgrade since everything I have is working, so you are kinda on your own. I still on Big Sur, a 2017 iMac and PS CC 2023. :)

I'm on a 2019 Macbook Pro and running Monterey and PS CC 2023 - Already turned off ALL PS updates. Should I stay on Monterey, as well? No more OS upgrading? (I came to ask, and saw this thread.) 

You could go to Ventura...but honestly? Why? To take advantage of the new macOS features, you need a new Mac to go with the latest OS. If things are working, and you aren't all in a tizzy about the latest AI shit from Adobe...Photoshop is still Photoshop. Layers are Layers, Levels are Levels, etc.

Eventually both you and i will be purchasing new Macs within the next 2 years. I'd be more worried about saving up for a new one than installing a new macOS...as tempting as it sounds. Believe me, I get it. The new macOS are really meant for the M1 / M2 / M3 Line of Macs, not the Intel-Based ones like we have. In my humble opinion...if we upgrade we are asking for weird problems to happen. :D

On 1/31/2024 at 7:25 AM, Brian said:

Since you have a new M2 Mac, and everything is working fine, go ahead and upgrade Sonoma to the current version, then upgrade Photoshop; especially if you want all of the AI tool improvements. Report back if you have any issues, I'm curious.

Everything is running fine :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi, is there any reason to avoid upgrading to Sonoma 14.5? I know above it says 14.3 is ok, just checking on 14.5.  Thanks!

@Brianjust curious if you knew if is there any reason to avoid upgrading to Sonoma 14.5? I know above it says 14.3 is ok, just checking on 14.5.

How old is your Mac?

We have had more than one member have all sorts of Video Card issues with Sonoma. So while it may install just fine, you could have quirky problems with Photoshop. I'm still on Big Sur, even with my fancy 27" 2017 iMac, with the "upgraded" components at the time...I won't dare upgrade. If you do decide to take the plunge, remember...if you want to downgrade, you are completely nuking your main hard drive and installing everything from scratch.

I wouldn't.

But it's a free country...so if you want to make your life difficult...go ahead. :D

Bottom Line: Start saving for a new computer/laptop. The 16GB RAM and the Radeon Pro 560X 4GB day's are numbered when it comes to Photoshop. The CPU is fine, it's just everything else. The problem is, Photoshop just isn't PS anymore. It's an AI Generator, it's a bunch of fancy bloatware, which requires more horsepower from a computer. Not just the CPU, but at least 32GB RAM, a beefy video card GPU with at least 8GB - 12GB of dedicated Video Memory, 1TB main HD. So there is four things you need to worry about. Now to increase the difficulty of things, plus driving up the price...Apple now has built everything into a Single Chip. So there is NO upgrading ANYTHING after the fact. Which is why I recommend members here upgrading a few things and a new Mac that will last you 7 years or so, will cost about $4600 (US Dollars.) What trips people up, is they are so worried about the CPU speed, they forget about everything else. I would have liked you to get a i7 Mac Laptop but with more RAM and had a better video card with more video memory. Chances are, that wasn't an option if you started with the lower-price Mac Laptop. Apple penalizes you for going cheap, they want you to "Go Big or Go Home."

In fact, I wouldn't even bother with the current versions of PS! We have had a few users that did upgrade their OS, and Apple updated the Video Card Drivers and now take a wild guess who has a problem with this? That's right, Photoshop! So now we have people that have sessions to edit, are on a deadline, and Photoshop doesn't play nice with the current drivers being used for a old laptop. (Yes, 2019 is "old" when it comes to a Laptop.) Which makes them "Dead-in-the-Water." Apple has turned off the ability to downgrade at this point, so if things do go sideways...you are completely erasing / formatting your HD, installing an older MacOS and then re-installing EVERYTHING from scratch. Not my idea of a good time.

Again...start saving if you haven't already. Photoshop is becoming a BEAST and new versions keep being released with more-and-more Bloatware / AI Crap. Gone are the days of CS6 and being able to run it for 15 years. Remember, Adobe Photoshop is a Professional-Grade piece of software and Adobe expects you to keep your hardware current. Regardless what the masses tell you otherwise. I'd love to upgrade my 2017 iMac and Photoshop, but I'm stuck as well and have other things to purchase before a new stupid $4600 computer. 

On 5/17/2024 at 10:41 PM, JessG said:

@Brian

image.thumb.png.576720df8d6b7d203678cbfc1beba00f.png

If I can butt in here, lol! I came from a 16 GB, and it slowed down because of all the PS updates. I could not upgrade to Sonoma or upgrade my PS to 2024 (I was using the 2019 version)  I knew if I did, it would slow down the imac even more. Believe me, from my experience, saving up for my 32 GB M2 Pro mini Mac was the best choice ( of course, now they have the m3, which was not available yet when I purchased the new machine ...ugh). Everything runs smoothly.I have not yet updated to the new 14.5 Sonoma. The upgrade is 2.48 GB, which is not bad I think the M2 could handle it but If I don't need to upgrade, I won't. Photoshop runs so well on the new 2024 version. I can also use the AI features to remove items from pictures to remove wrinkles or to extend backgrounds, and it's fast at generating it! Take Brian's word for it: this one will not do what you need it to. Anyway, my two cents! LOL. Good luck, Jess! 

Thank you @Brianand @Michelle Pena.  Sounds like I need a new computer.  This one I'm using rode on the top of my car for 1.4 miles in the city until I accelerated from 0 to 45 mph from a red light to a highway onramp at which point it catapulted off the roof and slammed into a concrete wall.  I drove 45 mins home before I realized what happened.  Drove back into the city, searched for it for an hour at 10:30pm in freezing weather to barely spot it out of the corner of my eye laying against the concrete wall on the highway.  That was 2-3 years ago, so I got lucky it still worked after that.  @Brian if I wanted to buy an apple laptop (and yes, I know you are not supposed to edit on a laptop, but I'd still like a laptop), is there one you recommend specifically (or a post for that)? Or when you're in the $4600 ballpark is that a build-a-laptop situation (I have never done that before)? I will buy one over Memorial Day if I have to (maybe I can find a sale or financing or something).  My computer has been struggling a bit lately and I don't want to struggle anymore.  THANKS!

@BrianI don't even see a 14" MacBook pro in the 4600 range.  Most expensive even at 16" is $4,000.  Pls tell me apple makes a laptop I can use 😭 bc I really need to be on a laptop for a variety of reasons.

That's because I don't configure a 14" MacBook Pro for photo editing. I configure a 16". You also need to include AppleCare and any applicable sales taxes.

Did you see this link? I walk you through step-by-step.

What is a good Mac Laptop for Photo Editing in 2024?

Here is a screenshot of the configuration:

ScreenShot2024-05-20at11_13_51PM.thumb.png.8ead0a369c16f4165ba1f20aefffc8ee.png

Cost before AppleCare & Tax: $4199.00

Now, I tend to round-up. It might be less than $4600...but it still will be above the $4000 mark. Even Mac Desktops cost that much. Just think, if you lived in Australia, this price would be closer to $8000.

Remember, everything is more expensive in 2024!! Shithole homes by me are going for $400,000 - $500,000. Or more. New Vehicles start at $60,000...used Vehicles start around $32,000. Food costs more. Eating out at Olive Garden or other similar establishment could cost you around $100+ and that's without alcohol. Eating a Big Mac Meal at McDonald's can set you back $16 in some areas of the country. By me, they are around $12-$13 after tax. While it's great that fast-food workers are getting paid more money, the rest of us aren't. Now...I'm going to stop now before I really go off ranting.

Anyway, Macintosh Computers have ALWAYS-ALWAYS-ALWAYS been expensive. It was just for a period from 2009-2020 when they were "Affordable," and that's what is throwing people off. The original Macintosh Computer released in 1984 cost $2499.99. Adjusted for inflation, that amount would be: $7,692.51 in today's money. So call it $7699.99. You get A LOT more computer for less money than you would have in 1984.

But I get it. It still sucks. Keep saving and just deal with using an older version of Photoshop and the current MacOS that you are running. Believe me, you aren't missing on THAT much. At its core, Photoshop CC is still not much different than CS6. It's just all the fancy tools and the FOMO is what gets you.