Calibrating in the dark!?

I read the instructions about buying lights that were around 4000k, so I did. Now I am working to calibrate my computer, but the directions on your site say to "turn off the lights or pull the blinds, or whatever." Am I misunderstanding? Should I be calibrating in the dark? 

Soooo... I did turn off all the lights, and now when I adjust the brightness to get the yellow line into the green area, my screen has to be at maximum brightness to get the yellow line close to the green area. 

What am I misunderstanding here? 

image.png

Just now, Jaimie.taylor10 said:

I read the instructions about buying lights that were around 4000k, so I did. Now I am working to calibrate my computer, but the directions on your site say to "turn off the lights or pull the blinds, or whatever." Am I misunderstanding? Should I be calibrating in the dark?

Yes.  Or at least dim light.

3 minutes ago, Jaimie.taylor10 said:

Soooo... I did turn off all the lights, and now when I adjust the brightness to get the yellow line into the green area, my screen has to be at maximum brightness to get the yellow line close to the green area.

Lights on or lights off should make absolutely no difference to this.

And yes, this is very unusual.

Well... I turned all the lights on and calibrated the brightness, then I turned them all back off and calibrated the brightness, and it didn't seem to matter... I had to put my screen up to its maximum brightness in order to have the yellow line close (and it is actually a tiny bit below the green line). Could it be because I have an old/ancient iMac? It's 8 years old at this point... Maybe the display is failing or something? 

Nope! But that's how I have always edited... With the brightness up all the way. ? 

I'm sure you said this somewhere... But I can't find it. When I edit now, after I have compared my prints and they match (hopefully) and everything, can I edit in dim light, or do I need to edit in the same light I used to check my prints to the screen?