Thanks for the links in AD

Thanks for replying to my question in Ask Damien. Your reply and the link gave me the info I was looking for. I hadn't seen that link previously. Next step, call my computer guy and get the bad my news re the $$$ it will cost me.

As always, I appreciate your time and expertise.

If I may pick your brain a little? My computer guy got back to me with a general starting point and we'll work from here. My previous two computers were custom-built by him and even though my computer is 5-6 years old, if I didn't want PS, my computer is still working great (knock on wood) and I would only want a Windows upgrade. However... I want more!

What do you think about this general package below (cha-ching!). He'll work with me to work with a budget. He always has. I don't know what will be needed over the next ~5-6 years. If I downgrade too much I'll have to replace components or the computer much sooner than I would like. But I don't want to buy the latest and greatest just because it's the latest and greatest. That's overkill. I'm retired!

He called this the most recent powerhouse: Dell Precision at about $3,500.  NVIDIA A4000 ADA, i9, 32GB RAM, and only 512GB. We'll have to upgrade the SSD.

The price is quite a bit higher than your 2023 recommendation. Even though I'm not a photo pro I've become spoiled after taking all of Damien's classes and what PS can do. I haven't used AI yet, I'm not particularly excited about AI, but I plan to play with it at some point. I have two LG monitors, one HD and the other 4k (I know, I know!) I bought the 4k before I knew Damien. I don't see any reason to replace them.

Thanks!

First, there is a major problem with the current 13th-Gen and 14th Gen Intel CPUs. There is a patch coming sometime this month, but I'd wait a few months before buying anything. I want to see the patch released first, tested in the "Wild" before I tell anyone else to purchase a computer now. Unfortunately, I just found out about the Intel CPU issue only in the last week or so.

Second, The NVIDIA A4000 ADA sound's like it's the "Bee's Knees," but that's just marketing. In fact the NVIDIA RTX 4070 and RTX 4080 actually perform better according to this chart that Adobe linked to: GPU Compute Benchmark Chart - Photoshop. The higher the score, the more powerful and better performance you get from Photoshop. Adobe recommends a score of 2000 or better, but they are trying to "Save Face" and sell software to the masses; I personally recommend a video card that has a score of 10,000 or better with "Today's Modern Photoshop." It's almost like Microsoft telling us that Windows 10 will "work" with only 4GB of RAM, but you and I know in reality that 4GB just won't cut it. ;) Same thing with Photoshop. Sure a lower-powered video card will "work," but you really-really want something with a little more "Umph." In fact, my current 2017 27" iMac has a AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB Video Card and that has a score of 4162. That's a score of 2162 MORE of what Adobe recommends. But I can tell you that my iMac is barely keeping up with PS CC 2023 and I don't dare bother upgrading to PS CC 2024. So the moral of the story is, don't fall for Marketing.

Third, if your displays are working for you, and calibrate well, keep using them. 4K Displays are fine; it's just you have to scale up the picture because things displayed in 4K look so tiny. Which kinda defeats having 4K to begin with. As for the RAM and HD, I'd honestly recommend 64GB going forward and having at least a 1TB main HD. If you want to get a 2TB, that's fine as well. 

In a nutshell, my 2023's recommendations still stand in 2024...you are just buying the current 2024 equivalents. (e.g. buying a NVIDIA RTX 4080 over a RTX 3070 / 3080, etc.) I'm also leaning towards 64GB of RAM as well instead of 32GB. HDs...1TB is perfectly fine, a 2TB would be a "better" option, but isn't necessary. 512GB or smaller...absolutely not.

• Like 1

Wow, that Intel problem is serious. I just googled it after reading your answer.
One article: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a

I'm no where near as technically knowledgeable as you, but I'm far enough along to get it. I can downgrade my PS a little to give my computer a little more breathing room and wait until the Intel CPU issues settle out. That is great information, Brian, thanks!

I wondered about the A4000ADA hype. My BS meter was going off and felt like it might be a "latest and greatest" thing that I don't need. Thanks for that chart. It'll save me a few $$, too.

My current computer has 512GB c:\ and 1TB d:\. I figured I was on borrowed time, although with a little file maintenance it'll be ok for a while. I have to admit, I'm not great about moving old photos off my d:\ like I should. I back up ok, but I don't remove things as quickly as I should. That will be upcoming homework for me. If I go with a 2TB main HD, that will give me room for technology advances. Of course it will also encourage my file-removal laziness!

My LGs have calibrated well and I have to zoom in farther with the 4K to view noise, focus, etc. They're also 5+ years old, but seem to be working fine for now. I will need to think about changing them when they no longer work as well as they do now.

Thanks again for all of the great info, Brian. I really appreciate your time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the video. That breaks it down really well. It's crazy that Intel has waited this long to put out a patch. I googled when 13th Gen came out - Sept 2022. I'm glad my computer is 5+ years old.

How do we know if our computer is "taking 65w or more of power"? Is there a way a relatively computer-literate user like me can check that?

10 minutes ago, ChristyB said:

How do we know if our computer is "taking 65w or more of power"? Is there a way a relatively computer-literate user like me can check that?

Since you are asking, it is very likely you have a 35 Watt CPU, which isn't part of the patch. :) The 65 Watt CPUs are in the high-end systems. 

If you were into over-clocking, liquid cooling and really high-performance tweaks and such, you'd have a 65 Watt CPU. If you were some sort of Massive Geek Measure-bator, talking about latency, frame rates, and a bunch of other performance mumbo-jumbo...you'd have to worry. If your computer case is illuminated like the Las Vegas Strip, with each and every wire methodically mapped out and secured...you'd have to worry. If you used benchmarking software, bought certain RAM sticks with similar serial numbers, tweaked your BIOS settings to get the absolute fastest performance, just so you can brag to your FB Group on how much better-er your computer was...you'd have to worry.

This isn't going to affect you. LOL!! Plus, this only affects Gen 13 & Gen 14 Intel CPUs. Not 5+ year old Intel Chips.

• Like 1

Thanks. As 13th Gen came out in Sept 2022 I knew it was highly unlikely my current computer was in that class. My computer died approx a year ago and they had to repair/update the bios, but that's it. They said that was rare, but it fixed it.

However, if I bought a new i9 computer it sounds like that would be a real concern and the video quoted 65w+.

Thanks for the link. I think the article said in addition to the list any 13th/14th gen CPUs running 65 watts are susceptible?

Funny, I've never looked this closely at CPUs in the past, but I've never come across this kind of problem before. It's why there are supposed to be "tech guys" out there to sell us computers, help us maintain them and give us a better chance of avoiding these problems. I like detail and learning, but I try to choose rabbit holes wisely ;) When it comes to spending $$$$ for a new computer this one is kind of important.

My tech guy has a small company and he's built great computers for my husband and me in the past. When my current computer started crashing a year+ ago, his techs couldn't figure it out. After going back & forth a couple of times with his techs, he jumped in and diagnosed the bios problem, repaired it and it has run like a new computer ever since (knock on wood!). So I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to the bios. I know he knows this stuff which is why I was a little surprised when he suggested the Dell i9 computer. Thank you, Brian! I know he's swamped with his business clients and like most successful businesses, he's spread thin.

What do you think about AMD 13th Gen CPUs? A custom-built AMD 13th Gen CPU computer is an option. Intel has always seemed to be the go-to.

On 8/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, ChristyB said:

What do you think about AMD 13th Gen CPUs?

AMD is holding off on releasing their new line of CPUs. Why? Because their quality control sucks and they caught it before they have a Intel Issue on their hands. :) 

It's all Chinese-ium, built from components by the lowest bidder. It's all Crap! ALL.OF.IT. 

It's just not computers, but cars, houses...everything. It's just not made to last. "Better" no longer exists. Hell, I just replaced a Washing Machine not that long ago! Why? Because it was 10 years old. Cheaper to replace than fix. It doesn't matter how much money you spend, there are no guarantees that "new" equals to "better." I usually tell my customers when they ask for "...can you can me a new one?" That thinking was 30+ years ago. Now it may be "New" or in reality, it's just "Different," as in "...it's a different one, with its unique personality, quirks and its own set of issues."

Dell is "good" for what it is. I like the XPS line of Dells, especially their desktops. This whole Intel Microcode thing is a bug that has been out in the wild and never addressed until now. Hopefully the patch will be released soon and people can buy new computers and go on with their lives.

Thanks for the AMD info. I'm not surprised...about all of it. Yeah, washing machines used to last forever. Now we're lucky to get 5 years out of them. You're right, they're all crap.

You've been awesome, Brian, as always.

I easily owe you a beer. I couldn't find the link. Would you please point me toward it? Thanks!