iMac RAM

Roleen

You are right, you will get mixed answers. Around that time, Apple was changing things and their 27" models could go up to 32GB, but didn't list it. The rule of thumb is, if your iMac has a DVD SuperDrive built in, it can go up to 16GB. The 27" models that don't have the DVD drive can support 32GB. Now, I'm sure someone out there tried installing 32GB and it worked, for whatever reason. That said, I can not in good conscious recommend trying it if you have a DVD drive in your unit.

I would head to Crucial.com, run their scanning tool. After you run it, you should see a page with your options. Look  at purchasing TWO 8GB kits. Of course, it depends on what your current setup is. If you only have 4GB, chances are you have two 2GB Sticks. Those sticks would need to be pulled and 4GB sticks would need to be installed in their place. To get 16GB, you'll need four 4GB sticks in all the slots. If you have upgraded RAM in the past, we will have to talk about what's installed.

Thank you so much for the quick and informed answer. I do have the DVD drive and have never upgraded from the 4 so will buy two 8GB kits then. And would crucial be your number one recommendation for RAM? 

Yep. I've used them since the 1990's. They are a good source for RAM and prices are reasonable. You'll see their scanning tool on the main page, but I'm thinking it will cost you about $100 to take your Mac to 16GB. (I think the kits are around $48 each).

Still on 4GB? OMG!! You have no idea on what you are missing out. It will be like having a whole new computer. There is a MAJOR difference between 4GB and 16GB. Enjoy your purchase.

PS: The scanning tool is a .dmg file that will go to your downloads folder. Look for it there and double-click it. It's harmless.

Haha! Thank you Brian. Yes I've been a little mia from editing the last three years. Just starting up again now. Can't believe what a difference three years makes. Everything needs upgrading... But exited to be back at it again. :)