removing part of background

unchainedkateo

Is there a reason why I can't clone and use an action on the same photo? I figured out how to clone with masking to get rid of the building but when I try to use an action on the picture it won't let me. And vice versa- I can't do the action first and then clone or the clone tool doesn't work properly. 

10 minutes ago, unchainedkateo said:

Is there a reason why I can't clone and use an action on the same photo? I figured out how to clone with masking to get rid of the building but when I try to use an action on the picture it won't let me. And vice versa- I can't do the action first and then clone or the clone tool doesn't work properly. 

It's likely your action requires a flattening step or a single background layer or some similar nonsense.  Simple solution: stop using the action, or rewrite it so it's properly nondestructive.  :)

Screenshot the action with its steps expanded so we can see?

See those duplicate pixel layers at the bottom?  That's the basis of this action, and that's why it's utterly messing up your layers and your cloning workflow.

All your pixel edits (like cloning) would have to be done first.  And then you'd have to flatten and run this action on the flattened background layer.  Which is why this is a pretty terrible idea.

If you absolutely NEED multiple pixel edit layers, this is the best way to do it.  But this PTM action is forcing you to use pixel layers for "highlight rescue" and "shadow rescue," work that should properly be done in raw and then with adjustment layers.  So please, please, please stop using this action!

• Like 1