Removing parents from this pic

Kiwiellis

I did the family pics first and got several great ones, but by the time I got to taking sibling pics, the 4-year-old girl was DONE and I didn't get anything good.  Mom really wants one of just the two kids to print large for over the fireplace.  This image is my favorite of the siblings together so I want to attempt removing the parents from it.  I already anticipate problems around the little girl's hair where you will be able to see the background through it.  How should I proceed?  What's the easiest way to mask or remove the parents?  Ultimately, I DO want the background completely blown out like most of it is right now.  This is SOOR. 

Thank you!

110116015.jpg

Edited by Kiwiellis

Ok, I started by just painting out the big areas of the parents that weren't close to any edges with a big white brush.  Then I clicked the white eyedropper on the dad's suit right behind the little girls hair.  Is that the area you'd recommend I do it?  It does blow everything out, but her hair is so light that when I brush over the hair, the hair in that area starts to look neon blonde.   There's also a spot on her shoulder where the dress fabric is a bit see-thru, and masking over that area blows out the dress fabric there.  But if I mask only to the edge of the dress, the see-thru part is too dark to match the background.  This would be so much easier if everything in the picture wasn't white.  LOL  So I'm not sure how to handle those two areas, but everywhere else, I just need to paint along all edges of the boy and girl to make them out, correct?                     

110116015 sibling 700px.jpg

110116015 sibling.jpg

2 hours ago, Kiwiellis said:

everywhere else, I just need to paint along all edges of the boy and girl to make them out, correct?                    

Right.  With this.

2 hours ago, Kiwiellis said:

It does blow everything out, but her hair is so light that when I brush over the hair, the hair in that area starts to look neon blonde.

Yes, that is a risk.  You can try changing the blend mode of the Levels layer to Luminosity.

I am still working on this.  I am struggling with the area in between the boy's feet.  Can't really go to full white there because of shadows and needing to keep that perspective. I may have already taken it too far where that is concerned.  What's the best way to handle that there?  Does the overall masking look ok?  I have definitely been staring at this too long.  I'm going blind. ;)  

110116015 sibling2.jpg

Edited by Kiwiellis