Image Size for Print-Can Image Size Be Doubled

kristinmolly

Hi All! Hi Damien!

So i used my dx lens on my fx body and the image size of the images I took are: 2784x1848 (approx 4.6 MB)

Clearly, I will never do this again! However, she wants to print about 40x40 canvas from this image. Can I resize this image to make it larger (and print that large) without losing image quality?? I am considering using Perfect Resize plug in in PS but have never done so before. 

I am completely freaking out!!!

Thanks!

2784x1848 is about 5.1 megapixels (5,144,832 pixels).  That's just barely in the bold/desperate zone for an 8x12 print.  :(

http://www.damiensymonds.net/2014/03/how-aggressively-can-i-crop.html

Canvas *is* more forgiving, but I'm really not sure about this one...  Maybe post the full image (resized for web) plus a 700x700 crop of your master file, and Damien can give his opinion on what you can do with it?

• Like 1

yikes.  Damien says you need at least 6mp to enlarge as big as you like, and you don't have that...plus you're going to be cropping even more to get a square=not good.  You could always do your crop, enlarge, sharpen and order a 10x10 or so test print of a 100% crop to see....

• Like 1