Frizzy hair on plain BG

meris

This client had frizzy hair. Since it's on a plain BG, what is a good way to clean this up?

This side is the worst, I don't know what the top part was supposed to be like.

Capture-2.thumb.jpg.9609e857d72beb8c0d0e

Edited by meris

Also the bit on her forehead. I wanted to fill the bit in above her left eye. I tried cloning and healing a few ways but couldn't get it to look real. The edges mainly. Is it something that can be done?

7 hours ago, meris said:

The full crop. That's to say, I'll likely crop in a little and straighten before delivering.

Your profile says you have a D800.  Surely that's a 2:3 frame camera?

1 hour ago, meris said:

Also the bit on her forehead. I wanted to fill the bit in above her left eye. I tried cloning and healing a few ways but couldn't get it to look real. The edges mainly. Is it something that can be done?

Just to clarify, do you want to take away hair, or add more in?

Download the PSD file

Basically, I first added the gradient layer and made it the colours you'd shown me, and masked it but only very roughly, and not too close to the subject.

I duplicated that layer, and changed the bottom one to Overlay mode, then made its mask completely white, then modified the gradient colours to make it match the top layer as closely as possible.  This part was hard, I went back and forth quite a lot.

Then I more carefully masked both layers.

After this, it's up to you.  On the top layer, you zoom way in and use a tiny brush, to mask out the hairs you don't want.

I did a small section to show you:

meris3b.thumb.jpg.4aad91121c074007576030

1) I understand the 1st layer, but not the 2nd Overlay mode. Why not just 1 layer and mask?

2) In future, should I always shoot on pure white, then add layers later?

9 minutes ago, meris said:

1) I understand the 1st layer, but not the 2nd Overlay mode. Why not just 1 layer and mask?

Yes, of course you could just do one layer and mask.  But if you do it that way, you have to mask every.single.strand.of.hair.on.her.head. And that would drive anyone to insanity.  This way, you only have to mask the hairs you don't want.

10 minutes ago, meris said:

2) In future, should I always shoot on pure white, then add layers later?

Have you read this?

You actually did the right thing here.  If you'd remembered to bring a comb, this would have been dead easy.