Stylized painterly effect

Hi Damien and team!

I'm trying to replicate a whimsical fantasy style I've seen. I composited several pieces together to make this image of my boys:

56c9fba07a7a8_snowmanfordamien.thumb.jpg

First, I'd be grateful for your critique and anywhere I can improve the basic image. It is underexposed because I've been trying to get a certain effect and don't know where else to take it. Here's a website full of the look I'd like to replicate: http://www.adriansommeling.com/portfolio_page/portfolio/ I can't link to a particular file, but the one of the boys on the airplane wing (second to last row on the left) seems close in light and colours to my snowman photo.

I've tried more and less saturation, contrast, levels, fading highlights, fading shadows, adding textures, even the oil paint filter in CS6, but I can't seem to get it right. Any thoughts? The feeling I want is storytelling, whimsical, playful.

Thanks!

Oh yes, that's the one - couldn't figure out how to direct link. Although all of those photos are in the style I'd like to emulate - sort of a 3D painterly, not quite real effect. Thanks Christina!

It's just High Pass, isn't it?

Make a new blank layer above the others, then Cmd Opt Shift E to stamp visible.  Change the layer blend mode to Soft Light, then Filter>Other>High Pass.  Start with the slider at 0, and slowly raise it to taste.

Play with other blend modes too, such as Overlay, if you wish.

I think my High Pass filter is misbehaving. I did it once, and sort of liked where it was going, but all the sharpening showed me a few flaws in my masking. I deleted the layer, backed up and tweaked a few masks below, and then when I followed these steps again, this is what my high pass filter looks like:

56ca2e1c22c4a_ScreenShot2016-02-21at4.35

Even when I press OK, it stays like this. Can you see where I went wrong?

square snowman.jpg

Edited by DaniGirl

17 minutes ago, DaniGirl said:

I think my High Pass filter is misbehaving. I did it once, and sort of liked where it was going, but all the sharpening showed me a few flaws in my masking. I deleted the layer, backed up and tweaked a few masks below, and then when I followed these steps again, this is what my high pass filter looks like:

Please read ALL my instructions.  I told you to change to Soft Light blend mode BEFORE running High Pass.

Oops *blush* that explains why it worked the first time. Got cocky the second time. Luckily for both of us, I won't make that mistake again. :)

Do you have any thoughts on this version? I feel like it's getting there, but almost want it to be smoother somehow. Any thoughts on how I can make it have more of that whimsical feel?56ca340654c6a_squaresnowman2.thumb.jpg.7

Gosh your eye is good. The snowman snow and the field snow were different tones, so I used levels match them up, and I was so proud of myself (thank you Levels class!) for figuring out how to balance them. Didn't see the discrepancy with the clouds.  In fact, I'm having trouble perceiving the green in the clouds - what do you think of this version?

square snowman 3.jpg

• Like 1