JPEG size limit

JulieHunt

Hello.  Something bizarre has happened this evening (I've been out photographing tonight's full moon).  Does anyone know why I am getting less than 1mb JPEG file size even though my camera is set to RAW + JPEG FINE and always has been? I have only just noticed when cropping an image in Elements 11, that I am only getting around 200-300kbs file size at the default 240 when saving as JPEG.  I have just checked my images on the SD card and the JPEGS are mostly around 1mb or less when they are usually around 8mb.  My shots I took earlier in the day are around 8mb and I can't for the life of me figure out what's gone wrong. 

But I have never had the JPEGS being such a low file size before?  If I were to upload these JPEGS for printing say using Photobox, surely the quality would be dire?  They are only coming up in KBS rather than MB's.

Edited by JulieHunt
needed to add extra wording

Sorry I haven't quite explained this properly.  On the SD card, the JPEGS are less than 1mb when they are usually around 8-10mb.  Even if I open the NEF to edit, when I crop, they are only coming up as 200kbs (not mbs).  This file size would not be acceptable for printing. 

5 minutes ago, JulieHunt said:

Sorry I haven't quite explained this properly.  On the SD card, the JPEGS are less than 1mb when they are usually around 8-10mb.  Even if I open the NEF to edit, when I crop, they are only coming up as 200kbs (not mbs).  This file size would not be acceptable for printing. 

Why not?  What's wrong with them?  What are their pixel dimensions?

Hi Damien >:(

Something odd going on here with my brain or my computer or everything. lol.  

If I use, say for example the crop ratio of 5x7, save as JPEG it is giving me just 370kbs (ok for web use Facebook etc but not for printing).  If I were to print this at Photobox, it will pop up with a non-smiley face and tell me that the quality is not good enough for printing as it is too low a resolution.  Now here is an even stranger thing going on. I managed to screenshot this image uploaded to here, but tried to do another screenshot showing the kbs size to save to JPEG, but it is now saving it to Dropbox.  Flip's sake.. I have no idea what's going on as the first screenshot saved OK to my MAC hard drive. 

You know that feeling when you have been working on files for a very long time, then suddenly something changes that is not quite right?  That is my feeling last night.  All other images before I went out to do moon pics, are 8-12mb and 30mb respectively (JPEG fine and RAW).  So they are cropping and saving in the high quality size I would expect and need for printing different format sizes, whatever the pixel dimensions.

Screenshot 2016-02-24 08.40.07.png

You have a lot of black (the dark sky) and this circle thing with a little detail (the moon). That's what your camera is thinking. You don't have as much "stuff" or data in the file. As long as your resolution (image size before cropping) is fine then you are good. 

If you want to check, take a photo of anything right now. Don't change your camera. Then compare file sizes. 

Thanks So much D. I am so thick sometimes it's unreal. I checked moon pics I took last year and they're exactly the same as what I took last night. Lol. I took a couple of test shots this morning after formatting the card and both jpeg and raw are the sizes I'm used to. It didn't even register that it's because there's no colour. I don't know why I suddenly noticed after all this time. 

You're a star as always. ☺

• Like 1