Calibrated with X-rite i1 Display Pro

I just calibrated my monitor.  I feel like my prints are not as warm as my print files.  These are my results after I calibrated.  Do you recommend I recalibrate with something other than "native" to get my screen less warm, to match my prints?  

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 3.19.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 3.17.43 PM.png

Yes, and that's what gave me the idea that I should recalibrate with different settings other than native.  I've always been fine with the native setting before now, so I guess I'm a little nervous.  Your instructions say, "If I wanted a cooler result, I could try 6500K (“D65”) or even 7500K (“D75”)."

I'll go for it.

Edited by Rachelle T

I order my prints from WHCC.  I just received my first unsatisfactory print from them that really does not match my screen.  It looks more green and cool and blah.  But the color profile was sRGB.  I did not calibrate right before editing that picture so I figured maybe my calibration was off.  When I compare it to other recent prints, I wasn't as unhappy with them, but they do looks less warm than my screen.

I just recalibrated using D75 and i don't think it looks much different.  Perhaps WHCC did really botch one of my prints on their end?

I'm attaching the results of my latest calibration.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 5.16.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 5.15.59 PM.png

Edited by Rachelle T

Okay, so I should compare it to my older prints, gotcha, that makes sense now that I think about it.  And I'll contact WHCC and ask them to reprint that picture for me.  I set up an account with another printer as well, maybe I'll send it off to them to print as well.  

1 hour ago, Rachelle T said:

I've gathered some older prints and it they're not quite as warm as my monitor either.  Hmmm.

Ok, so what are you thinking?  Do you recall them being a perfect match in the past?  Or do you think you weren't so diligent in checking, and maybe they didn't match in the past either?

I remember checking at times in the past and feeling ok with my match.  But mostly I've looked at my prints away from my monitor and thought they looked good, without comparing them exactly to my monitor.  But when doing that I realize they don't look quite as warm.  So, if I've already chosen the setting to get my monitor to its coolest setting what do I do next?  I really LOVE how my pictures look on my monitor, the prints aren't as nice, and I'm referring to color, not brightness.  Do you think I should try my other lab before I start to worry too much?  Could it partly be due to my lab?  I'm located in El Salvador and it's nearly 11:00PM my time, so I'll check back in in the morning.

13 minutes ago, Rachelle T said:

I really LOVE how my pictures look on my monitor, the prints aren't as nice

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No no no no no.  What your pictures look like on your monitor is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT unless they match your prints.  Prints are the only standard that matters.

Unless your screen matches your prints exactly, I forbid you to love your pictures on your screen.

I hope you understand why I'm saying this?  If your screen isn't accurate to your prints, you can never accurately edit for perfect prints, and you'll waste fistfuls of dollars with disappointing prints, every week of the year.

The purpose of your screen is not to look lovely.  It's to match your prints, period.

As it happens, there is a relevant and important parallel to be made with your computer.  Computers are not meant to look lovely on your desk.  Their only true purpose is to be the best possible tool for your work.  Sadly you, like so many thousands of other photographers, bought a Mac.  It looks sexy, but it's an inadequate tool for your work (and ironically, you paid far too much for it.) Mac screens can't be adjusted when they are too warm or too cool for print matching, and so you're left with the calibrator's adjustments only, and as you've found out, those are often inadequate.

For now, yes, get prints from a new lab and see if they're much different.

Regarding calibration, just below "Native" in the white point options, you'll see one called "Daylight Temperature ...".  Choose that, and it'll allow you to try an even greater range of colours than the listed presets.  But it's not a magic bullet, sometimes you get odd results, not at all nice.

Yes, lol, I understand that my prints are what's important, but I want to love my pictures on my screen AND prints!  I bought a mac because I got sick of having my other computers crash on me and have to be completely redone every couple of years.  That is why I bought it and it has delivered.  It's nearly 5 years old and hasn't given me an ounce of problems, other than this whole calibration issue ;) .  I did a lot of research before I bought it, I WANTED another windows computer, but after experiencing one too many issues with my PC I made the switch.  Some people said not to calibrate the iMac monitor at all, maybe I should've listened, but I couldn't help myself.  I'll keep trying to get it figured out.  I'll try a different lab and perhaps try the "daylight temperature."  Hey, if all else fails can I connect my old screen to my iMac?  I know, that sounds dumb, but is it a possibility?

Ok, I've calibrated my monitor using a small variety of settings so I can look and decide which one matches the closest.  The weird thing is that listed under Display profile on my iMac is the option AdobeRGB and that seems to be the closest to my prints.  They are just maybe just slightly cooler than my prints.  What do you know about that setting?  Can I just use that for my display profile?

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 2.12.09 PM.png

4 hours ago, Rachelle T said:

Yes, lol, I understand that my prints are what's important, but I want to love my pictures on my screen AND prints!

Once your screen matches your prints, you WILL love both.  Because you'll be editing accurately at last.

4 hours ago, Rachelle T said:

Some people said not to calibrate the iMac monitor at all

Those people are idiots.

28 minutes ago, Rachelle T said:

I think the light's ok.  It's kind of a weird room, it has a small amount of natural light and two white light bulbs (not fluorescent) in the center of the room.

The bulbs are a fair match for the natural light?  They don't clash with it, colour-wise?

i don't think they clash.  

Ok, that's great.

I mean, it would have been nice to be able to blame your lighting for the problem, rather than your over-priced POS computer, but still ...

My prints look desaturated compared to my monitor.

In all colours?  Or only some?