help with removing a background object.

TamaraCda

Hello Damien

Would you please help me with removing the white door directly behind my sister in this picture?  I've read this: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/10/role-of-masks-when-cloning.html and tried it playing with the steps you describe in it, but the cloning doesn't work for me.  I can't get past that step.  I'm sure I must be missing a really basic step or that there is a different or simpler way I could do it, but the white seems to be too light to take on the colour of the wall next to it.  So, instead of having the beige colour wall cloned onto the door, I end up with a white-ish cloud-like look on it.

Thanks, 

Tamara

20160221-TDB_5442.jpg

HI.  Thanks for your response!  Apologies for my delayed reply (in Canada!)

I think I'm not worried about the lamp - I will crop it out.  The door frame on the left may be an issue (haven't decide how tightly to crop).  I guess my thoughts on that were if you could help me figure out the BIG one behind her head, the same technique could be used for the one on the left :)

I tried.  

First time every working with gradients.  How does it look?  

My colour of the wall is lighter than yours, but it doesn't bother me.  I'm going to crop out the lamp, as mentioned above.  And I think I will redo this so that the brown strip of the bedcover doesn't show (either by extending the cream blanket or using the gradient to bring the wall down to the cream blanket - is one way better than the other?)

Tamara

20160221-TDB_5442gradientmethod.jpg