External monitor attached to laptop

I've just attached an external monitor to my laptop to alleviate problems associated with editing on a laptop. I have two questions: how do I get the optimal size and screen resolution from the monitor?  I can either have it so that it's the whole size but poor resolution  or if I want full resolution I need to have it displaying in the centre of the screen but then it's only covering about 75% of the screen

second, the monitor needs calibrating. I'm assuming if I run the programme and put the calibrator on the external monitor that will work?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Samantha LaRue said:

Can we see a screenshot of what you're talking about? Just want to make sure we are on the same page. :)

I've plugged the monitor into the laptop.  There are lots of settings to choose from but I have currently chosen to clone the screens (so they both show exactly the same thing).  The laptop display is as it always has been with the correct resolution and pictures etc fill the screen.  But with the monitor, as you can see, the screen is not full of the picture but as it is at the moment it at least has a correct resolution for it's size.  If I change the settings to have the monitor screen full with the picture the resolution is poor and I can see no way to change that.  Does my laptop need to upscale it somehow?  It's a very old monitor (although I have just seen that it has a wide gamut - which I'm wondering - is that going to give me issues as my laptop isn't wide gamut?).  There is no way on this screen to connect using hdmi, its the older type (sorry, don't know what it's called but it has lots of pins in).  I have managed to calibrate the screen, albeit it looks totally different from my laptop.  If I could connect using hdmi would that make a difference?  It's not too much of an issue as the screen works fine other than that, I'd just like to use the whole of it if I can

monitor screen.JPG

1 hour ago, Samantha LaRue said:

Ah, don't clone. You want the "extend" option.

Samantha, you're a star.  Worked through the other options and I'm now full resolution on the monitor.  Just awaiting confirmation from Damien on the image I processed from it earlier and I'll be up and running.  Thank you :D

• Like 1

OK, I've just had a chance to compare my prints to the monitor although would this be a fair test as the photos were edited on my laptop and I can't be sure that the screen was at the correct angle at the time?  Would I be best to get some more prints done using the monitor to test it's accuracy or are the prints I already have of any use for checking this?  I've got a batch of photos I want to get printed shortly but obviously if the calibration was wrong I'd need to check it first.  In answer to your question, I extended the screen as you suggested and my laptop screen is blank, all the info is on the monitor which is fine, I don't need to see the laptop screen but when I unplug the monitor the laptop screen is very blue.  If I correct that by recalibrating when I plug the monitor back in that is showing as very red.  I don't need them to both be right at the same time as long as the monitor is correct

41 minutes ago, Jackie Matthews said:

OK, I've just had a chance to compare my prints to the monitor although would this be a fair test as the photos were edited on my laptop and I can't be sure that the screen was at the correct angle at the time?

It doesn't matter.  Prints are prints, no matter how they were edited.

42 minutes ago, Jackie Matthews said:

but when I unplug the monitor the laptop screen is very blue.  If I correct that by recalibrating when I plug the monitor back in that is showing as very red.  I don't need them to both be right at the same time as long as the monitor is correct

Gosh, this is unusual. Most modern laptops can handle dual profiles ok.  Which Spyder do you have?

Ah, the Express doesn't calibrate multiple screens in a single set up. It can only do one per computer.

I also don't understand why your laptop screen is now blank when you have it stretched? Do you just mean all the icons are on one screen and you have to drag windows over to the laptop? 

No worries on the calibration. I may invest in another one at some point if you have a recommendation?  Yesterday my laptop was totally blank and the monitor was working ok. Today however the laptop is on with the same desktop picture as the monitor but I only have icons on the monitor 

OK.  My laptop is 15", my monitor is 19".  By low resolution on the monitor I guess that it takes the resolution of the laptop and uses that until the monitor resolution has been set correctly.  It's OK, I've sorted that.  So as it stands at the moment when I use my laptop on it's own, all is good.  When I plug the monitor into it to edit something the monitor is at the correct resolution and colour but the laptop shows an incorrect colour calibration.  (monitor is 1, laptop is 2).  I think that this is as good as I can get without purchasing another calibrator to get a dual profile so I think that your help has solved my problem as far as it can go at the moment thank you.  I have just seen though that Firefox can only work on the primary screen (1?) correctly so I'll bear that in mind.  Thanks for your input