Newborn Edit

Hi Damien, I love this look by Sandra Hill http://www.sandrahillphotography.com/pretty-baby-girl-brantford-ontario-newborn-photographer-hamilton-ontario-toronto-ontario/   but for all my edit attempts I can't work out what is making hers so warm and magic and mine just look over-cooked.  My photo is SOOR and obviously there is some blanket smoothing required but I know how to do that. 

howtoedit-1-3.jpg

Whoa! Firstly, thank you. Getting a compliment like that from you really means something. That blanket smoothing is awesome. I usually hide my dodgy blanket work with a blurred vignette, but how did you do that? 

I can't believe I never thought of that. I need more practice at D&B but here is my attempt at your method for the blanket. It still looks pretty dodgy compared to yours.

howtoedit-1-3c.jpg

Yeah I think those warm tones are about right, it feels a little dark and maybe Sandra Hill has a bit of "vomit layer" to soften it a bit more. I was actually thinking I should give you some more money soon as your help is always amazing. I will sign up for the Levels class upgrade, especially as purple/red hands and feet are some of a newborn photographers biggest trouble spots. 

Yes so far as I can see all the images on that post look to have the same in processing, her shadows aren't totally black. For example where my baby's arm touches the blanket is really dark, which is an easy enough levels change. Some of it may be due to her lighting vs my lighting as well.