Topaz Clarity plugin

I was watching 'Complete Male Portrait Retouching Workflow' by Glyn Dewis and he mentioned and showed how to use the Topaz Clarity plugin. I looked it up after and it says it is 'Topaz Clarity is the modern version of the Contrast slider, with better technology and better results. It enhances local contrast, which gives your image crisp details, better tonality, and "sharper" features without losing highlights or shadows.' Would this be secondary contrast? It's also $49.99

has anyone else heard of it?

Oh I see. Well Glyn didn't edit the photo the way you have taught us he did raw processing half way through his editing by using the camera raw filter button in photoshop he used Colour Look Up tables which I again hadn't heard of are they any good? He didn't do any levels editing just used the topaz Clarity plug in. Strange he doesn't edit like you have taught us considering he is a well known photographer with published books and attends photography shows and conventions.

I have been watching a few of his tutorials and he photographs people against a grey background so he can add textures behind the people on overlay and mask it off the people. When he brings in the texture its in colour and he goes to image > adjustments > desaturate to make it black and white would we use your action to make it black and white?

4 hours ago, EmmaBrett said:

When he brings in the texture its in colour and he goes to image > adjustments > desaturate to make it black and white

The fact that he does this tells me that he's using copy/paste, which is BAD.  You must always use File>Place to bring your textures in.

4 hours ago, EmmaBrett said:

would we use your action to make it black and white?

No, just add a Hue/Saturation layer, and clip it to the texture layer, then slide the Saturation slider all the way to the left.