Photo Scanner

HI Brian

Do you have any suggestions on the best photo scanner? 

I usually photograph work to reproduce, but i'm getting some interesting pieces that I think would benefit from using a flatbed scanner of my own. Primarily it would be used for pictures no bigger than A5 and even that would be on the big side. 

One more thing about this dmax. That is the dynamic range? And the difference between 3.6 and 4.0 would be significant for slides? Just asking because I have a Plustek 8100 slide/negative scanner and the price of an Epson V800 is about $1000. My Plustek dynamic range is 3.6. I am looking at this for getting better light into slides as I am finding them a bit dark and it is hard to get brightness without washing them out with my scanner. Also thinking this would be the "do all" for slides, negatives, and prints. I can't seem to find the v700 in Canada.

Edited by Collette

Honestly I don't have a slide projector to do an honest comparison but this is quite dark. I am making sure the scanner histogram is a tad outside of dark and bright as per your suggestions. I can bump up the midtone brightness but it still seems dark. So this is the scan with the Silverfast histogram corrections to ensure I don't clip anything. The brighter image has some basic Photoshop correction too. Obviously I am just mucking around because the colour is way off on these old images.

Slide (40).jpg

Slide (40)v2.jpg

I have to upgrade my software to access 16 bit histogram. Off hand, would you know about Vuescan software? Some people are using that and I know both software applications can work with my current scanner and Epson V800.

Edited by Collette