Please help fix Moire

SarahS76

Hi Damien,

I have one shot from this maternity session with really bad moire.  It's showing up at 100% when I have cropped the photos for output.  Can you please help?  Thank you!  I'm attaching the full size file and the 700x700px crop.  It's been a long time since I've done this, so I hope I did it right!

sarah

moire.jpg

RyczekMaternity12.jpg

Of course it's not showing up posted in here.  Why would that be?????

I haven't tried anything yet, other than seeing that the moire is there when I've cropped to the output size.  When I zoom into my original edited file at 100%, there is no problem. It's when I crop that I'm seeing it at 100%.  I remember in the past you having me do something with a color layer or something like that, but it's been so long since I've had a problem like this that I couldn't remember what to try.  :(

OK, once I turned my brain back on, I went and tried doing the duplicate of the background layer as a smart object and applying a blur.  I didn't like how the blur looked at full opacity, because this is a close up, and I lost all texture on her shirt that way.  I tried masking it on gently at a lower opacity, but I can still see the moire.  The only way to complete get rid of it seems to be with a full strength blur, and I feel like that's ruining it.  :(

I have to prepare for web and for an 8x10 print.

I seem to remember there being a method that involved painting a color layer on set to some other setting or something.  Is that only for colored objects?  Or am I thinking of something completely different?

Thanks for your help! :)

5 minutes ago, SarahS76 said:

I have to prepare for web and for an 8x10 print.

Ok, what size is the web one?  And what resolution for the print?

6 minutes ago, SarahS76 said:

I seem to remember there being a method that involved painting a color layer on set to some other setting or something.  Is that only for colored objects?  Or am I thinking of something completely different?

Yeah, that's only for colour moire.  Not applicable here, sadly.

Web size I usually crop to 15x11 at 72ppi.  For the 8x10, 300ppi.

If it's something I have to live with doing the blur, I'm sure I can.  I'm guessing I can get it to the point where the clients won't notice much, and I'm not the one who has to look at it every day.  *sigh*

1 minute ago, SarahS76 said:

Web size I usually crop to 15x11 at 72ppi.

Oh gee, this is a DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All of a sudden, moire is the least of your problems.

Let's talk about this.  For what website are you preparing this image?

The Facebook sizes are 720, 960 or 2048 pixels on the long edge.  Those are the sizes that FB advise for best quality.

Nobody uses 720 any more, it's just so small.

2048 is lovely and big, if people are viewing on big screens, but overkill of course for people viewing on phones, which is most people now.  Plus 2048 is printable, so it's dangerous from a piracy point of view - you need to make sure you've watermarked carefully.  Do you add a watermark?

960 is pretty good.  But of course watermarking is a good idea all the time anyway.

The 11:15 shape is only for images which you're selling.  For Facebook, you don't need to restrict yourself that way - you can crop to any shape that suits your photo best, you know?

I do add a watermark.  I think you had helped me write my action YEARS ago.  Like, many, many years ago.  I suppose it's time for revision. 

The only reason I keep the 11:15 shape for Facebook is because they are already cropped like that when I'm creating digital files for customers (and that's what I use when I show them their photos, so they are already cropped like that anyway).  It saves me time if they choose to purchase any digital files, because it's already done.  I'll revisit my process and write an updated action to suit the new norms.  I'm so out of touch. LOL

Thanks again for your help!  I wish I could spend more time in this forum.  I feel so out of touch now that you're not on Facebook anymore.  :(

It's ok, you're welcome to stick to the 11:15 shape. What you say makes sense.  I just wanted to make sure you understood that it didn't HAVE to be 11:15 for Facebook.

So, back to the topic at hand.  Can you crop one to web size (let's use 960) and post it here for me so I can see the moire?  Don't do the smart object thing at this stage, I just want to see the issue as it stands.

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

By the way, regarding the action, have you seen this super-duper one?  https://www.damiensymonds.net/act_web.html

I have.  I'm planning on revisiting this and either using that or creating a new one.  I'm getting a new computer on Monday, though, so I'll wait until then, as I already have everything from this one backed up and ready to move over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

This might interest you too: https://www.damiensymonds.net/client-photoshop

That's still 900.

Oh, sorry.  I thought you meant to run it the way I usually do.  I'll try again.

I'm sorry.  I'm clearly terrible at following directions tonight.  I don't mean to waste your time, so thank you for your patience.  I hope this is right....

RyczekMaternity12 copy.jpg