Monitor screen is black

Hello, this is the second time I am having this issue. Computer turns on, but my monitor screen is black. I can hear the computer turn on and run. At first I thought my computer had crashed. I took it to geek squad ( I am not in any way a techie person and I live in the boonies so BB was the only place I could think of for repair) and when they plugged it into their monitor, it came up just fine. So I thought it was my monitor. they did a clean up or whatever it is and  $150 later, it seems it was the video cord. I bought a new cord and it has been working just fine.

This morning, after doing some editing, I turn the monitor off  and when I came back it won't turn back on. Nothing but a Black screen. 

I have an HP Pavilion p6340f desktop and an hp 2159m monitor. My computer is about 7 years old. Monitor is about the same.

any help is greatly appreciated. I know I probably need a new computer, but I am  just clueless when it come to this kind of thing.

Hi Catherine, sorry to hear about your woes.

Brian is much wiser than me at this stuff, but until he arrives, I'll throw in my two cents.  I think you should do what the geek squad did - plug your computer into another screen.  Any screen will do - do you have a television that would work, perhaps?

I have an extra television that I have tried to hook it up to before. (The monitor is actually working now.) I don't know what the issue is and it's driving me nuts. I just can't figure out of it's the monitor or the desktop or the cord??

My desktop PC doesn't have an hdmi port so I will have to get an adapter to hook the computer up to the television with an hdmi cord. I know I bought one recently when i replaced the video cord. I just can't remember where I put it.

Thank you for your help.

Bad solder joints on one of the boards inside the monitor. Probably on the inverter board, the part that converts AC to DC since displays run off DC Power. 

"Huh?"

You need a new monitor. 7 years is a good run. 

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I've had at least 3 service calls with this very same issue this past two months. I've replaced the display each time.

After replacing the 15 pin (blue connectors) d-sub/VGA cable, which does cause problems and I would have started there myself, there isn't much you can do. Displays are so cheap now that it's not worth fixing. 

The $150 wasn't necessary, though it's standard Geek Squad practice where up-sells are mandatory. It's like a mechanic charging you for "Blinker Fluid."

The Dell UltraSharp 2417H is a decent one. I'm probably going to buy two and setup a dual monitor setup for my next computer. Before you go buying stuff, can you take a photo of the back of your computer so I can see what display ports you have? A lot has changed over the last 7 years and I would hate to tell you to purchase a current model of monitor only to find out the hard way that you can't hook it up.

Edit: If you aren't in the market for a new computer and it's working fine for you, the Dell U2412m Display is a perfect replacement for your current monitor. That said, the blue 15-pin VGA connector is not meant for today's fancy flat screens, and I'm hoping you have a different monitor port on the back of your computer.

• Like 1

No need. This is fine. See that white port next to where you have your monitor hooked up to currently?

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 8.54.31 PM.png

THAT'S THE PORT YOU SHOULD BE USING!! :)

The standard VGA port that everyone is used to has been around forever, well...not forever, more like 1989. Anyway, it was meant for CRT (Tube) Monitors up to around 20" or so, not today's fancy flat screens. You need a digital connection to get the best output from your flat-screen display. That white port is called a DVI-D and is a digital port. When you use that cable, you get better / more consistent colors & contrast and your images are a bit sharper overall. In your case, I'd recommend the older Dell U2412m display, which is an awesome display and GREAT for editing photos. That was the display that I was always recommending when it was the current model back in 2012-era.

As a bonus, it comes with one of those white DVI-D cables!!! Whoop! Whoop!! 

591cf2fc26c6a_ScreenShot2017-05-17at9_00_23PM.thumb.png.aff77fa5d5bc433216002b8e5c840dbe.png

Unrelated question, but since you're a tech kinda guy, I just thought I'd ask. I downloaded a font a few months ago and now everything on  my homepage, email,etc is that font. I have no idea what I did to make this happen, but it's driving me absolutely nuts. Any idea how to change it back?

Also, I need a new router. Any recommendations for a new one? My current Belkin one (AC1200 DB WI-FI Dual Band AC+) keeps kicking everyone off the wifi. I have tried updating the firmware.

Please and thank you!!

I don't particularly care for the Netgear Stuff, as their firmware is often screwy. Linksys...I've gone through more Linksys Routers over the years and am not satisfied with them either. Apple out of all companies made a great router, but they were expensive and now Apple has stopped making them.

What I ended up doing is running Cat 6 cable in my house and using this D-Link AC1200 as a Wireless Access Point. I let the Comcast Modem do it's thing and disabled the WiFi on the Comcast Modem and put the D-Link AC1200 in the middle of the house, hooked up directly to the Comcast Modem, which gives it the best performance. So I bought what you have. LOL!! The D-Link AC1200 works great as a WAP.

This crap doesn't last forever. Those suckers wear out over time and they ALL suck. I've gone through at least 7 routers over the last 15 years or so? Something like that.

• Like 1

Hi Brian, I ended up purchasing the D-Link AC1200, thinking it was a router. It is not, correct? Just a wifi extender? I'm having major issues with the wifi in my house. By "Cat 6 cable", do you mean ethernet cable? Do you have to have a wireless router in addition to the D-Link?

It can be setup as a Router, Range Extender or WAP. I set mine up as a Wireless Access Point - WAP. You then simply connnect the Ethernet cable from one of the switch ports on the back of the D-Link and the other end to your existing switch / router. NOT the port that would go to a modem. Then you configure it in a web browser.

Cat 6 is the Ethernet Cable. I ran cables through my walls between my basement and Living Room, where the D-Link is. 

When I get home I will take photos to show you what I'm talking about. 

• Like 1

OK. First do you know what your IP range is? It should be one of the following:

• 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx
  • 10.1.10.xxx or 10.0.0.xxx

The Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0. To find this out, head to your start menu and type CMD and press enter. The C:\ Prompt will appear. Type IPCONFIG and press enter. Your IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway should be listed. We are really looking for the Gateway Address.

Let me know.