Won't import from camera - wheel just spins

Hello

About a week ago my LR stopped importing photos from my camera (via cable, I do not have a card reader so that's not currently an option to try).  This process worked properly last week and then mid-import I ran out of room and had to cancel the import, clear off a little bit of space, and then it wouldn't work anymore.  I can import from files on my hard drive, but when I choose to import from camera it just spins.

Adobe support says that it's a user profile permissions problem and they cannot help me. Any suggestions on how to fix a permissions issue on a windows 10 pc?

Untitled-1.jpg

I have a PC laptop running Windows 10 and Lightroom 10. It is under 12 months old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 72.3GB free out of 462GB. The last time I shut down was just before posting this thread. I rarely run a cleanup program.

48 minutes ago, Meetmow said:

Its hard drive has 72.3GB free out of 462GB.

How much space did it have at the time the problem occurred?

72.3 is a good deal less than the 1/3rd free space that @Brian recommends for your hard drive.

49 minutes ago, Meetmow said:

I rarely run a cleanup program.

I urge you to make it a regular thing - at least once a month, if not more.

3 hours ago, Meetmow said:

(via cable, I do not have a card reader so that's not currently an option to try).

Card readers are dirt cheap, I urge you to get one pronto.

I agree with Damien. I highly recommend using a card reader. Don't use your camera to transfer images. I know it seems easy and it's tempting, but when things go wrong it's a real PITA to get things working again.

Permission fixes, there isn't one simple method. I've gone round-and-round for hours trying to fix them. Other times I takes an hour or so. Either way I can't recommend and easy and simple fix. 

Oh I recommend about 75% or so for the maximum usage on any HD, internal or external. So on a 500GB drive, try not to go below 100GB full.