Calibrating new monitor Dell U2412M with Spyder4pro - prints not matching

Hi Damien - Trying for a last time before I'm ready to call it quits. I need you to dumb this down for me, because maybe it's just me that is getting this whole color management thing wrong. Even though I have followed your directions to the letter (as far as I know).

Got the new (refurbished monitor) from Dell, ordered new test prints for comparison with the new monitor - not sure if I needed to but figured WTH, and calibrated. Went through the color temp presets, and this is what I came up with for the actual Kelvin readings.

10,000K color preset: current Kelvin temp 10,681

9300K color preset: current Kelvin temp 9973

7500K color preset: current Kelvin temp 8094

6500K color preset: current Kelvin temp 7055

5700K color preset: current Kelvin temp 6170

5000K color preset: current Kelvin temp 5706

So if I understood your instructions correctly, I should have chosen the 5700K preset bc it was the only one which fell between the 6000-7000 range. Used that preset to calibrate, and today I compared prints (window light in room). 

And... the prints are slightly warmer. So, theoretically, if I need to warm up the screen images to match my prints, I would go down to the next lowest preset - which happens to be 5000K - is that correct?

I used prints from Miller's (since I had used them in the past) and WHCC (because I am thinking about switching). Both labs are actually fairly close in color to each other. I did call Miller's to ask them about their recommendation for a target, and they said 5500K - not 6500K. Would that have bearing on this so much that I should change it in some way?

Thanks - Jennifer

4 hours ago, Jennifer said:

And... the prints are slightly warmer. So, theoretically, if I need to warm up the screen images to match my prints, I would go down to the next lowest preset - which happens to be 5000K - is that correct?

Yep, correct.

Hey D- thanks for response. Not sure if you saw what I wrote about miller's recommendation for target being  5500 k - not 6500. Would this have some bearing on their prints being warmer and is there something I should do to compensate for this? Thanks!

Edited by Jennifer

Ok. I tried WHCC also and their test prints actually came out pretty close to miller's. Hypothetically speaking, if their recommended target is also 5500K, would I do anything to compensate?

I did also try Pro DPI, but their test prints came back really dark and red. 

10 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Ok. I tried WHCC also and their test prints actually came out pretty close to miller's.

Yes, that would seem to confirm what people have been saying lately, that WHCC's quality is slipping.

10 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Hypothetically speaking, if their recommended target is also 5500K, would I do anything to compensate?

Nothing changes.  You need to calibrate such that your screen matches your lab's prints. The numbers are somewhat meaningless.

Gotcha. I'll have to check your print lab reviews. Thanks again!

btw- just tried finding it. Can you send me a link or tell me which section you have the reviews in please?

FOUND IT:)

Edited by Jennifer