Computer Monitor

Hello. I am wanting to update my computer monitor. I currently have a Dell XPS i7-4790 computer that I purchased 2 years ago this fall. I have a Dell 24 Ultra Sharp monitor/matte screen. I am looking to get a little big larger screen that I can use for editing and watching Netflix with my grandson. Previously Brian recommended I get this computer and monitor. Not sure is he is still around for questions? At any rate, of course I want to make sure that I get a good monitor for editing, while also a larger screen to view video's and Netflix that won't break the bank. I purchase the above from B & H, and they recommended a BenQ Sw2700 PT. The price is kind of steep at $599, and am hoping to find something a little cheaper. Has anyone heard of this monitor? Thanks. 

Of course Brian is still around.  I'll move this post into his section.

The BenQ does look like overkill.  I'm pretty sure Brian will recommend sticking with Dell, and going for a larger UltraSharp, eg 27 or 30 inch.  But I'll let him confirm that.

• Like 1

I had not considered that option. However, I was at Costco last night and there happened to be a Dell 27 monitor there. I may have jumped the gun in buying it. The price was reasonable at $139, but when I got it home I realized that I could not see if it was an LED model. Which is what I read in Damien's recommendations that I needed. So...long story. I kept it in the box, unopened in my car last night. I had happened to transport some ice back there as well yesterday for food.....Well, as I was looking at one of the bottom corners of the box, there is a water line! Of course the water did not reach the inner packaging or monitor, but still doesn't look so good if I needed to return. I cannot for the life of me, find out if this is an led model?? I entered the serial number onto the dell site and it is not coming up! lol Do you think I will have to take it out of the box to find out if it is an led model? All the outside of the box says is ~ Dell 27 Monitor 1920x1080 Display, HKMI 101. My desk is not the biggest to put 2 monitors on it. Another problem is on the right of my current monitor, on a shelf behind it, is my printer.

DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE A 1920 X 1080 DISPLAY IS THESE DAYS?!?!

Everything is freakin' 4000k and 5000k. That model is IPS based and has a anti-glare hard coating.

BUY IT!!

• Like 1

I guess that was confusing. Will my computer recognize the new monitor ok? I don't recall having to go through anything to connect it before. Of course I wasn't the one doing the hooking up.

6 minutes ago, Sue Gray said:

Or can I just remove the monitor I have, and just connect the new one?

Yep.

5 minutes ago, Sue Gray said:

Will my computer recognize the new monitor ok?

Yep.

Windows 7 & Windows 10 are really good at detecting monitors. Even the built-in Windows generic driver for monitors works well these days. All that driver disk does is correctly lists the monitor make & model correctly in the Device Manager. Doesn't do anything when it comes to a display profile. That is created by your calibration software. Speaking of calibration, you'll want to pull out your calibrator and test prints with your new monitor and go through the routine.

This was my first question on Damien's new site. I sure miss you guys on fb. I think I have been to lazy to even venture off of fb. I will have to make a plan to get over here more often! I appreciate your help!

It's so much better over here. The classes are better and you truly get one on one attention!! Damien moved your thread, which alerted me and I logged on and answered your question. Boom! Done-and-done.

Notice how your thread isn't clogged with others' comments & questions with people telling me that I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about? I get that FB is convenient. Believe me, I miss it sometimes too. Then I post something on FB in a group and immediately realize why this website was needed, not only for Damien's sanity but my own.