Highlighting hair

Aubrey

Hi Damien, I'm doing a lot of head shots and need to highlight people's hair more accurately when replacing the background. I have tried the tactics you posted here, https://www.damiensymonds.net/replace-background-hair, but have found myself unsuccessful 3 times now. Do you have a new or different way you could suggest? I was hoping that is the case since that post is almost 2 yrs old. 

Thank you!!

Aubrey

Here's an example of an unedited pic. I went ahead and edited the pic as best I could but would like to know for future reference the best way to get loose hair highlighted. 

DSC_1203.jpg

Edited by Aubrey

yeah, this happens a lot, especially with females. there's gotta be a way to highlight people's hair and throw a backdrop behind it without it looking super obvious that it has been "photoshopped". this pic is just an example.

First of all, I want to say that your job doesn't look at all Photoshopped.  Yes, it's not perfect, but will anyone notice?  Not a bit.

Secondly, I want to say that you were looking at exactly the right method.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:52 AM, Aubrey said:

HI have tried the tactics you posted here, https://www.damiensymonds.net/replace-background-hair, but have found myself unsuccessful 3 times now.

But because it's the opposite (black background not white) you have to make the background around the hair perfectly black, then use "Screen" blend mode (as opposed to "Multiply" in the white method).

yeah, this happens a lot, especially with females. there's gotta be a way to highlight people's hair and throw a backdrop behind it without it looking super obvious that it has been "photoshopped". this pic is just an example.

Hey, it's been a while but ive been working on this and thought id update you! im getting better I think! im gonna add a vignette around her head but wanted to show you i think ive finally grasped your tactic. THANKS! :)

4damien.jpg