Flash and mixed lighting

Mary Burgy

Okay... hope this is what you were looking for.  I just use the jpegs.  Let  me know if I need to save the RAW instead.  Used the Godox 600 bare for these.

The last two I just tried my Canon 430 exii flash for comparison b/c I need to use something at my shoot on Wed morning.

Did spot first and then eval - Left on AWB 1/200 and ISO 100  Canon 24-70 lens

2N6A5339.JPG

2N6A5342.JPG

2N6A5343.JPG

2N6A5345.JPG

2N6A5347.JPG

2N6A5348.JPG

2N6A5351.JPG

2N6A5352.JPG

2N6A5363.JPG

2N6A5364.JPG

5 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

This guy shoots in the shade too and I know he doesn't use gels.  He typically uses an AB and barely does any work post.  Does he have this issue?  I am just trying to see what some pros that I am familiar with do. 

His flash seems to be much lower power than yours?  Also, his white balance is shit.  I'm sure the little girl's coat is suppose to be at least white, if not cream.

5 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

Maybe I could just aim to flat light them so the light hits them evenly?

This.  For the love of God, this.  And lower the power.  Or move the flash further away, or whatever.

6 minutes ago, Mary Burgy said:

Damien will I be in trouble if I shoot with it in the area I showed above?  I can’t get a fix in time.  

Yes.

Okay.  I will aim to flat light and less power then and hope for the best.  I was just attempting to expose for the bg and not blow the highlights and as a result needed more flash power.   maybe Brian can determine if one flash is cooler.  

45 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

It's just that she was shooting in light MUCH colder than 5500-6000.

@Damien Symonds -- Then you tell me what is wrong. I'm out of ideas. Seriously.

What I'm seeing is the light from the Godox in her samples is a tad bit on the warm side. Just look at the white on her large WB thing, the Canon flash produces a brighter whiter light that is different than the light coming from the Godox. As far as White Balance, I was taught that you set it for your main light, in this case it's flash. You are coming at it from an editing point of view, which is fine. From what I've seen, I'm not digging her Godox lights.

3 minutes ago, Mary Burgy said:

should buy the gels I linked above?

It's worth a shot. Try using more of a blue gel instead of orange to compensate for your warm Godox Lights and to match the ambient light that you are shooting in.

I see no reason to think that there's anything wrong with the Godox light.  It is what it is.  Like all flashes, it's made for studio, I guess.  It's not made to match the rapidly cooling light of outdoor evenings.

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

@Damien Symonds -- Then you tell me what is wrong. I'm out of ideas. Seriously.

I don't think anything is wrong, as such.  It is what it is.

They do, but it's a constant led light, not a flash. 

StudioFX Photo Video Studio Variable Color Temp 600 LED Bi Color Video Light Panel CN-600CSA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4LM7GI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LswhAbG865EZF

That's just one example. From my own personal experience, those led lights are meant for video and often don't have the "umph" to overpower the Sun / Ambient light. 

15 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

I was under the impression it was meant more for outdoors.  That is why I got it... for the power.

You are correct in your thinking. The problem is the light itself and it's "personality" or quirks. It all boils down to knowing your gear and fiddling. 

Since it's so off, I would use your WB collapsible panel in addition to Damien's print out. You are going to need extra help until you figure out your groove. 

I do like the quality of light coming out of the Godox light vs your Canon Flash. It's way more even and less "Flashy." We just need to figure out how to manage the Godox. 

IMG_0308.PNG

That's good to hear. You just need to practice with the light. It seems that this light is not a run-and-gun light. There seems to be a learning curve. I would use AWB and stop with the "Set it to _______ and fix it in post..." thinking. Just to see if you get better results. You can always go back. 

• Like 1