Clipping Warnings

On 12/24/2017 at 6:16 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Well, they literally don't represent the channel clipping.

Damien, what do they represent then?  I ask because I often try to talk intelligently with LR users and would like to understand its shortfalls inside and out.

It's difficult to say, exactly.  As far as I know they represent Melissa RGB, which is the colloquial name of the colour space that Lightroom uses for its internal calculations.  It's a huge space similar to ProPhoto RGB.

Therefore, Lightroom accurately shows clipping in whites (where detail is blown out completely white) but not accurately for colours.

If you soft proof in LR and set the color space to sRGB, does that then make the histogram usable, in other words does it reflect sRGB colors and clipping, just like in ACR?  

And regarding the point you made above about accurate clipping in whites, is that because all color spaces share the same white point?

1 minute ago, novagary said:

If you soft proof in LR and set the color space to sRGB, does that then make the histogram usable, in other words does it reflect sRGB colors and clipping, just like in ACR?

Histogram, yes.  Clipping, no.  Very sadly.

4 minutes ago, novagary said:

And regarding the point you made above about accurate clipping in whites, is that because all color spaces share the same white point?

Correct.

8 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Histogram, yes.  Clipping, no.  Very sadly.

So in some cases, the histogram might be gently kissing the walls, but there is still significant color clipping going on?  I am not a LR user, so I am guessing there isn't an equivalent function to the "alt" button in ACR to reveal what pixels might be clipped.  (In ACR, I prefer the alt button to the histogram to reveal clipping.)