Brightness step missing

9 hours ago, Silvia2 said:

I've now tweaked the RGBCMY saturation sliders and recalibrated (using gamma 2.2, white pt = native, brightness = native), images match my prints quite well, but now once calibration is completed the spyder software shows me that my new calibration is 70% sRGB (which I guess is understandable if I've fiddled with the saturation values). With the usual calibration where saturation is untouched the calibration was 100% sRGB. Does this matter hugely?

Well yes, it's a worry.  70% is worse than most laptops.

• Thanks 1

Hi Damien

Thought you'd be interested in my solution. Been researching a lot on Google the last few days and trying out all kinds of things to find a solution to my calibration problems, made a few discoveries for this specific monitor model:

1) The custom preset mode is notorious for being very unreliable and glitchy for calibration. Should not be used. Standard preset has been recommended.

2) There's a hidden menu! Once accessing it, I can reduce brightness for any preset mode by tweaking the preset's RGB values in the hidden menu, without having to go into the custom preset. :)

3) Recalibrating using the Spyder software and hidden menu and standard preset (6500K) where I tweaked its RGB values: colours better but reds still too saturdated, gamut test much better, sRGB= 100% ! However, I still wasn't totally satisfied.

4) I stumbled across DisplayCal (https://displaycal.net) last night, via a forumn, installed it this morning and ran a calibration with it using my Spyder4 Pro device. RGB values tweaked using the hidden menu and standard preset. Calibration ran a long time, maybe 45min. The match with my prints is amazing (best yet). I think my sRGB is 99%. And look at the gamut test! DisplayCal has been a calibration saver for me!

So it seems I can keep my monitor :)

gamut test_displayCal.jpg