General practice about giving digital files to clients .. how many ?

I'm not in any business or anything of that sort .. (although i'd like to do that at some point.. ) as of now i'm just shooting for friends .. and free .. but i was wondering .. Say if you take a shoot .. How many picture you offer as Fully edited (full level and skin work) . 

Example my friend is getting married. I kind of their pre wedding pictures to upload on their wedding website .. I ended up shooting total of 174 pictures .. 34 of them survived culling process. They would love to have it all. But it'll take way too much time for me to edit them all with full levels and skin work.

How do pros do it? How many fully edited images you commit ?

Do you give images those are not full edit?  (if'd give just raw edits along with fully edited ones .. they are going to notice difference).  

Any place information like this available ? 

Appreciate inputs !!!

They all have to be the best you can do. You usually don't have to do skin work on ones where there are lots of people and you can't tell anyway. You don't want anybody to think you don't do great work. Just my opinion.

Edited by Jo Todd
  • Thanks 1

This is a hard question, and the answer really is up to you. 

Personally I believe if you are the only photographer you need to grit your teeth and do as many as you can for her. If she has hired another photographer, then you can just provide a few special ones.

As a friend you need to sit down with her and discuss the expectations for the day because this is a situation that can strain a relationship. 

• Thanks 1

Great questions!

On 3/23/2018 at 6:10 PM, rahullele said:

How many picture you offer as Fully edited (full level and skin work)

I show clients 25-30 images, fully edited, to choose from at an in-person sales appointment. I edit. Some photographers outsource this step. (However, I do not shoot events of any kind.)

Do you give images those are not full edit?  

I do not show unedited work. 

They would love to have it all. But it'll take way too much time for me to edit them all with full levels and skin work.

If I understand, you shot pre-wedding (engagement?) photos for a friend for free? Consider showing them your images and outsource (hire) the editing and let them pay for it.

Any place information like this available ? 

Yes! For example, Creative Live (website) has different classes in photography all the time with business advice. WPPI has a website with resources. There are many Facebook groups belonging to industry-leaders. Seek them out and find groups that suit your genre of interest. You will find a community that suits you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you So much for the inputs ..

As of now, i'm practicing and trying to cut down time i need to complete the editing processes. Also kind of creating checklist of "Things to watch out for" .. I add item there if i've to spend more time in editing. 

Hopefully i'll be ready soon.