Calibration Confusion

I ordered some prints from a reputable printer.  They are considerably darker than my screen.  I have not calibrated yet.

The printer specifies to submit in RGB colour space.

I use sRGB as you had recommended previously.

I use a Mac.  When I go into my system preferences/display/colour there is a list of different colour space choices.  When I switch from sRGB the colour on my screen is much closer to my prints.

I'm totally confused so just trying to figure this out before I actually calibrate.  If I calibrate but remain in sRGB and my printer wants an RGB profile, my prints are never going to match my screen are they?  

And when I calibrate, I thought that the process was to match what I see on the screen to what I see on the print?  I've read your instructions for a couple of different calibration devices (I haven't purchased one yet) and I don't understand how the screen gets matched to the prints

You use the calibration device to adjust the colors of your screen. It depends on what device you use and what type of monitor/computer you have as to how it will work. Once you have purchased a device, we can help you troubleshoot the process. :)

• Like 1