New PC - what specs to look for?

Please help me, my brain is about to explode!

I am trying to organise a computer build and am getting more and more confused!

I have a budget of about $2500.

All I know is I need 32GB RAM and an SSD or two?

Could you please please give me exact details of what I need so I can organise a build?

Thank you so very much!

• Like 2

Just one SSD is enough, I think.  For your operating system.  Then a regular internal hard drive as well - a terabyte or two - for file storage.

I believe i5 is sufficient - i7 is not necessary.

But I'm talking out of my hat here.  Brian will help with more deets.

• Like 1

SSD is great for an Operating System, it makes boot times almost non-existent. The downside is that most manufactures only install small SSD Drives, think 128GB, which is "Microscopic" by today's standards. In my humble opinion, you need at least 500GB for a SSD Boot Drive. Most folks are so used to clicking "next-next-next-nexk-OK-next-next-finish" when installing software. You really can't do that with SSD, you need to pay attention and do "Custom" installs and tell the software to go to the 2nd Hard Drive. Otherwise, you run the risk of filling up that 128GB or 256GB SSD Drive, which won't do you a damn bit of good if it gets full. Honestly, I really only recommend 1TB SSD drives and they tend to be on the expensive side, about $500 just for the drive.

Now what PC have I've been recommending? I posted this on another thread:

If you are an "Official" or "On-the-Books" business, then I'd get this Dell:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd?oc=cax8900w7ph1057&model_id=xps-8900-desktop

If you are a hobbyist, then the Dell XPS 8900:

http://pilot.search.dell.com/dell%20xps%208900

What you are looking for is:

• i5 or i7 CPU
  • 8GB RAM at a Minimum / 16GB RAM or more Preferred
  • 1TB HD at a Minimum / 2TB or larger Preferred
  • Dedicated Video Card with its own Video Memory. 2GB or 4GB of Video Memory is fine.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit at a Minimum. DO NOT get a Windows 7 "Home" edition, as it caps out at 16GB of RAM. You need the "Pro" version to go higher, i.e. 32GB of RAM.

Windows 10 is "fine" at this point, as long as it comes with a new computer. Most of the issues that people have are ones that have upgraded from Windows 7 or 8. With brand new computers, the upgrade path to Windows 10 is easier. As for which one, Windows 10 Home Edition or Windows 10 Pro, I would always recommend going the "Pro" edition. But it's not a deal breaker if the computer comes with Windows 10 Home.

Now what's the difference between the "Business" and "Consumer" when it comes with Dell? If you live in the United States, you get state-side support. When you call Dell for help with the consumer models, you get "Bob," "Abraham," or "Judy" in India or Pakistan. With the business edition, you get "Joe from Kansas" or "Sue from Colorado" or  where-ever Dell US Support is.

I like the 8900 because it doesn't come with a whole lot of crapware / bloatware. It's a straight forward computer. If someone comes across this thread and hates Dell, that's fine. Choose a different brand with the specs that I listed in the above comment box.

• Like 1

As for the monitor, the Dell UltraSharp U2715h seems to be decent and it's a current model.

Oh, one more thing, yes 32GB of RAM is great to have. I'd recommend buying a kit from Crucial.com and installing it yourself. Right now 16GB is less than $100. So even if your Dell comes with 8GB, you can add another 16 yourself to get it to 24GB. If you wanted the full 32GB, you'll need to pull the existing RAM from the computer and install TWO 16GB Kits, which are a quantity of four 8GB RAM sticks.

I'd get the PC that you want first, get it home and run Crucial's scanning tool. It will then take you to a page with your options.

Computer is fine. 

Samsung displays are a real pain in the ass when it comes to calibration. 

I'd skip the Samsung Display and get the computer. 

If you want great, we can do great. I configured a "Awesome" computer...and stopped at $2700. Final cost was around $3600. Of course, you'll have to put it together yourself. 

Off the shelf computers aren't great. They are fine. They will get the job done. PS doesn't need a lot of horsepower. It won't take advantage of the architecture of a "Great" computer. You are just blowing money and trying to show off if you went that route. Just like PS runs slower on a Mac Pro vs a fast iMac. 

Now if you are editing video, that's a different story. 

So take my specs that I have laid out and use them as a baseline. Find a computer that has triple the specs and has awesome reviews. 

I just got to thinking, what would be a "Great" off the shelf computer that is already built? Alienware comes to mind.

I'd look at the Alienware Area 51 line and would start with the $2099 model. Be sure to include a keyboard and mouse, since they are extra. High-end computers are targeted towards people who have no problems dropping a few hundred on a mouse and keyboard, so they don't come standard.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd?oc=dpcw02s&model_id=alienware-area51-r2#overrides=dpcw02s:4~W8AWENG;12~AWLMMG1

All kidding aside, the PC that is listed in the chart is a very nice one. It's "better" than the Dell XPS 8900 that I normally recommend. You see, what is "Great" now is already outdated. Within 6 months, something even better will come out. So I don't get excited by technology that much, because it's constantly evolving. Manufactures do not want you holding onto a computer for 5-7 years. They want you in the market sooner rather than later. So they keep pumping stuff out model after model. By the time you have done your research and saved up enough money and finally made a decision, that model you were going to buy has been replaced...and not always by something better.

So if it were me, I'd get the one you were quoted and purchase a Dell Ultrasharp Monitor.

15 hours ago, Brian said:

If you want great, we can do great. I configured a "Awesome" computer...and stopped at $2700. Final cost was around $3600. Of course, you'll have to put it together yourself. 

Off the shelf computers aren't great. They are fine. They will get the job done. PS doesn't need a lot of horsepower. It won't take advantage of the architecture of a "Great" computer. You are just blowing money and trying to show off if you went that route. Just like PS runs slower on a Mac Pro vs a fast iMac. 

I had planned on building it - the quote I posted above was from a computer builder. I use LR a lot at this stage so need fast and a lot of storage space. How can I improve the quoted build?

Unless you are into Overclocking and playing games, you are splitting hairs. The Gigabyte Motherboard is a solid one, but if you want to get a faster motherboard and faster RAM, that's going to raise the prices about $500 just for the motherboard. Plus there is other stuff to tweak. We could easily blow another $1500 on components. Or more. I understand what you are asking, you want a "SuperFast Computer with Fireballs painted on the sides." I get it. The problem with that is you are missing one thing: Manufacturers buy stuff in bulk, which lowers the costs. The local guy / gal that's going to build you a system, they really don't buy in bulk. The components that they choose usually accomplish a few things:

1. Are Reliable, so they don't have to fix / support things
  2. Are Cheap/Inexpensive, to keep their COGS low.

That motherboard is around $75 or so. It's a good motherboard, but it's not a $800 motherboard with superfast RAM, overclocked CPU and liquid cooling.

What I would do is upgrade the SSD drive from 250GB to at least 512GB, or better yet... get a 1TB SSD. I would not put anything less than a 512GB / 500GB in today's computers and really recommend that you get that 1TB. Now, some folks might say, "...but you just put the OS on the SSD and maybe your main programs and put everything else on the D: Drive..." I'd say that's true. The problem is the individual end-user. They are so used to going, "next-next-next...ok...standard install...nextnextnext, ok..finish" that everything just ends up on the C: (SSD) drive. It will become a mess at some point. With a SSD / Traditional HD setup, you have to be ANAL on what goes where. You must be proactive. You must choose "Custom" install and select the D: drive for stuff. Plus, with all of the updates for Windows and various programs getting larger all the time, 250GB is just "Too Small" these days. At a MINIMUM, you want a 512GB SSD Main Drive or 500GB Traditional HD. You can never have too much HD space. I seriously recommend the 1TB drive I linked to.

I'm no fan of Seagate Hard Drives. The only HDs that have failed or physically blown components on me are Seagate Drives. I like the Western Digital Caviar Black line of Hard Drives. I've owned several drives over the years and have never had a problem. They run fast, are reliable and run cool. I would avoid the "WD Caviar Green Drives" like the plague. They are cheap pieces of junk. I'd get two of these and configure them in a RAID1:

WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM Drive - 4TB

Video Card: I'd upgrade to a 4GB  model. Adobe's products are using video RAM for a performance boost these days, so it's better to get a decent video card. The one that's chosen is fine, I'd just get the 4GB model. I wouldn't go blowing a $1000 on a insanely fast video card, Adobe's products probably won't take advantage of the architecture that make it so fast. You aren't playing some sort of video game that a huge refresh rate with the highest detail setting. You want something that Adobe's software will play nice with. :)

Finally, I would get 32GB of RAM and be done with it. While 16GB is good to have these days, like HD capacity, you can never have too much.