Remove Malware from computer

Hi Brian

I am not sure if this is something you can help out with.  When on the internet, and I click on a link, I get an ad that opens up in a new tab. 

Is there a good free Malware program to stop this from happening?

Many thanks

Anne

From the thread:

As far as viruses, they are sooo 1990's. B| People don't get viruses anymore, the term "Virus" is like saying, "...I got stung by a Bee." Hmm...did the person get truly stung by a Bee or was it a Wasp? 

Nowadays, people get Malware, Trojans, Keyloggers, Ransomeware and other nasty things, not true Viruses.

To get the best protection, you need the paid versions of software. I like the paid version of Malwarebytes that does real-time monitoring. I also like the paid version of AVG. I've also heard of good things about Kaspersky and it really plays well with Windows 10. If a person is determined to not pay for this type of software, believe it or not, when it comes to Windows 10, Windows Defender from Microsoft is actually very good for what it is. Go figure. Keep in mind, this software is just a layer of protection, and NO software is fool-proof...but it's better than having nothing.

My company uses a program called Webroot for our customers who have remote monitoring support. The biggest downside to Webroot is that it tends to be really hyper, as it deems EVERYTHING to be a virus, LOL!! This means that it really gets in the way when installing software, so you will need to turn it off when installing things. I have clicked on install  program in the past and Webroot doesn't let the files expand on the hard drive. It's like someone shooting clay-targets, "PULL!!!....Bang!!!" LMAO!

OK, now for the downside. If you get Malware, the very first thing I would do, is to backup all your data files, actions, plug-ins, e-mails, login information, etc. Anything important.

Why?

Because the Malware and Ransomeware these days can get pretty nasty. I have personally gone round after round of scanning and removing for days, only to have the stupid stuff come back and re-infect the machine. How to I get rid of it? I usually end up Nuking the machine (formatting / restoring the hard drive) and starting all over. Believe it or not, doing it this way is A LOT faster than trying to get rid of it manually. The real trick is to have the paid Malware Software installed BEFORE you are infected. Otherwise, it's like locking your doors after the burglar is in your house; which means all bets-are-off.

Hopefully your machine doesn't have anything nasty. I would try Webroot or the paid version of Malwarebytes and give your machine a FULL scan. You might get lucky.

Good Luck!!

• Like 1

I hope it isn't anything nasty either.  I might pay for the Malwarebytes and see how I go.  I wasn't sure which program to go for as there are so many out there.

Thanks for your help with this.

I'm going to need that luck :)

Anne