Bad card

I just finished a session a few days ago with only 16 images on a Lexar Platinum II 8GB Compact Flash 200x.  When I turned the camera on to confirm the images were still on the card, it was fine.  When I put the card into my card reader, it found the images.  I went to select the folder to download the images and now both my card reader and my camera are saying there is something wrong with the card.  How do I get these images off the card?  Please help.

The first 3 are for Windows based, I'm a Mac.  Recuva's website is down.  I can't find the right file to open on Photorec once I unzip the file to start the program. CardRescue found 182 files, but won't show me a preview within the little window to see if they are even the files that I'm looking for. 

10 hours ago, JessicaSalazar said:

When I turned the camera on to confirm the images were still on the card, it was fine.

The image that you see on the camera's LCD is the JPEG PREVIEW AND NOT THE RAW FILES THEMSELVES. Always remember, your camera's LCD is a Lying and Cheating Whore who will sell you down the River if given the chance. Never trust it, especially if you have problems like this one.

It sounds like the card is damaged or the Pins in your reader might be screwed up, if it's the CF type of card. Macs generally don't like talking to cameras, it's better to use a card reader. If you have a friend that is close by and has one, you might want to see if you can borrow it and try it again. You shouldn't need any special software, if you have your Mac OS setup to display the reader on the desktop (when a card is inserted) it should be just a matter of copying the files over. If that doesn't work, you are looking at using recovery software to get the images off, but there are no guarantees.

Recuva is only for Windows. There is a "Alternative" Recuva for Mac, but it's $89.95. There is "DataRecovery for Mac" from Wondershare and it's free to try. There are several recovery programs for the Mac, but they are usually paid. The only one that I'm aware of that's 100% free is Photorec. There are two verions, one for the PowerPC CPU chip and one for the Intel CPU chip. If your mac dates from 2009 to the present, you need to download the Intel Version. In fact, let's not talk about the PowerPC version and stick with Intel. :)

Photorec for Intel Based (Current) Macs

Oh, TestDisk and Photorec come together in the download file. Photorec is what you want to use in this case, as TestDisk does more with Hard Drives, Partitions and Operating Systems, etc.

Photorec for the Mac is kinda Geeky. If you want a fancy interface that looks like a normal program, you'll need to pony up about $90.

1. Insert the card into the Card Reader
  2. Double Click on the Photorec program, the one below NEWS in your screenshot
  3. A Terminal Box will appear, asking for your Admin Password. (The one you use to log on the computer with.)
  4. Follow the instructions here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 12.35.24 AM.png

Now, I'm sure those instructions are gonna freak you out. The Mac OS is based on a old operating system called UNIX (Pronounced (You-Nicks). So a program like that, which is free, is going to be written along those command prompt lines. As soon as you start offering a Graphical Interface on a Mac, people start charging. So you might want to do the trial on one of the programs and see how it works for you.

Quick update:  I couldn't get photorec to work which is probably a good thing because a neighbor of mine was able to help. Turns out, there was NOTHING on the card anymore.  Not one smudge of a file to be found.  Glad I didn't waste my money.  Thanks again for your help.