Siblings

Mary Burgy

Am I imagining that she is sharp and he isn't in all of these?  There is no way he moved in every pic.  I tried focus and recompose though and am wondering if somehow that contributed.  I just don't know why one would be sharp and one not.

Edited by Mary Burgy

15 minutes ago, Mary Burgy said:

also at 3.5

2N6A9357 copy.jpg

2N6A9357 copy.jpg

2N6A9357 copy.jpg

This one definitely is a DOF issue.  The boy's right (our left) shoulder is in good focus, and it's on about the same plane as the girl's face.  The boy's face, however, being a bit further forward, has missed out.

On 6/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, Mary Burgy said:

I tried focus and recompose though and am wondering if somehow that contributed.  I just don't know why one would be sharp and one not.

Focus and recomposing is tricky. You can't move that much, as we are only talking a few inches of you moving. If you really wanted them both sharp, I would have been around f/5.6. Maybe even as far as  f/8...but I'm more at f/5.6 for these shots. You could have tried f/6.3 or f/7.1 too. Don't worry about the background being blurry and wanting to use f/4 or f/3.5. The reason is, and it looks like you used your 70-200, is to use compression to your advantage, meaning you want to take a few steps back and zoom in to suck in the background, which will help blur things and maintain enough DoF to get both relatively sharp.

Also, what Shutter Speed were you at? What focus mode?