boy eyes

I am trying to determine if lens has an issue or if it's me... I normally focus on front eye...

I am not sure how close I was

85 mm... zoomed in on screen shot to show eyes... is that really that large of a plane difference?

image.thumb.png.043a38755ef0bf52aa3d68f523453984.png

2N6A9399 copy.jpg

Thanks - Brian, I think I focused and recomposed and I assume it caught the wrong eye.  But I didn't think I needed to worry at this DOF but  maybe I was closer than I thought....

I don't think this is a DoF Issue. The camera seems to be focused on the wrong eye. By all accounts, this photo is backwards as far as the focusing-dept. is concerned.

Two things come to mind:

1. The wrong AF point was used, or the camera over-ruled your selection. Sometimes things get bumped and DSLR cameras typically have a setting that allows you to select an AF point, but if it finds something easier to lock-on to, it will use that area. So check your settings.
  2. Focus and recompose can bite you in this way. I know lots of Canon owners, especially 5D Mark II owners that focus and recompose a lot. If you move an inch or two more than you are supposed to, unpredictable things can happen. I feel that this is the case with this photo.

It looks like you are using f/3.5 and are standing fairly close shooting at 85mm. Yes, the DoF is normal in this case; one eye will be in focus, the other won't be in focus. To get both, you'll need to stop down to at least f/5.6...maybe even use f/8 on where you are standing.

Okay, thanks.  I normally don't focus and recompose but don't trust my outer focal points so was trying something new.

I am not use to this focal length so there will be a learning curve I guess.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, Mary Burgy said:

don't trust my outer focal points

Not all focus points are created equal. What camera body are you shooting with?

Alright. You beat me to it. :) 

Everything about this photo is fine, composition-wise, the focus is just on the wrong eye. It happens.