2-in-1 Laptop

I currently have a Dell desktop with a 27 inch screen that I absolutley love and will continue to use when I am working at home. I am on the search of a laptop that I can take with me to coffee shops to:

1. edit

2. hook up to my tv to show clients their photos (I currently borrow my husbands ipad) while at their homes or coffee shops during IPS sessions

3. create invoices for them to pay immediately

4. sign contracts (I currently use paper copies, I would like to do this digitally)

5. update quickbooks

6. correspond with clients

Anything else that I can do with a 2-in-1 that would be beneficial that I am not thinking about?! Most of the things listed above can be done with a regular laptop and having a bigger screen would be nice.

Is it smart to invest in a 2-in-1 from Dell? I would like to hook it up to a docking station at home so I all of my information will transfer from one screen to the other whether I am home or away. I foresee problems with editing on a 13 inch screen so would only use it in a pinch, unless I can bring photoshop up and edit with my hand right on the screen? Can I do that?

Or should I just get a regular 15 inch laptop to use?

Thank you for your input!!

2-n-1 Laptops can be a HUGE PAIN to calibrate. While they are cool and all fancy-like, if you are going to edit photos, I’d get a standard laptop with a IPS* screen. Check other recent threads for makes/models. I like the Asus Replublic of Gamers Line. Budget $1000-$1500. 

*IPS: In-Plane-Switching Display. Color and contrast are consistent from corner to corner vs a typical TN (Twisted Numatic) display, which is better for gaming. 

You actually might want to look into a Point of Sale System meant for an iPad or Android Tablet. Lots of small businesses are using them these days.

Square POS System

Square seems to work with QB. Since you already do IPS currently with an iPad, the learning curve should be less.  

Edit: Be sure to fully investigate a POS system. Many seem to be at least a monthly fee or more common, an annual fee. Some even might be a multi-year contract. Choosing the right one will be your biggest challenge, but I think it might be a better option in the long run.

A quick Google search led me to this article: https://www.business.com/categories/best-ipad-pos-systems/

I clicked through previous threads with laptop recommendations and also noticed a Dell Inspiron listed. I started looking at them and noticed that there is an 2 in 1, 15 in Inspiron with the IPS screen. Would that be better? or would it still be hard to calibrate? Wasn't sure if the struggle to calibrate was because of the screen moving so much or the non IPS screen in the other 2-in-1's that I was thinking about in the beginning. 

If you are asking my opinion, I’m going to say no 2-n-1 Laptop / Tablet combos. I know you really want one and it’s your money. Even if the 2-n-1 laptop is IPS based. No 2-n-1 laptops. 

The problem is not only the touch screen technology, but the display driver that makes that technology work can be a major hassle to deal with. For example, say each time you turn on the thing if or it wakes up from sleep and the monitor profile goes back to the uncalibrated default Windows profile? Then you are dorking around with your computer trying to make it look it’s best in front of your client. Stuff like that. 

Of course, this is just one possible example. YMMV. I could be over-reacting, it could work fine. Or not. Damien might have a better insight. In my humble opinion, I’d use a iPad and a separate laptop. I know that’s not what you want to hear. ;) 

Dell Laptops and computers are decent for what they are. They are easy to purchase world-wide and their specifications can also be found in other laptops. That’s why I recommend them. I also have realistic expectations when it comes to Dell. I usually think they will crap out at some point and that they aren’t always made from the best components. (Just like every other brand. LOL!!)

Laptops across the board are made so cheaply today. Even the “expensive” ones.