Cameras with Raw option

Dianna Cameron

I am about to begin the task of digitizing some family albums (7 of them) and that will involved either scanning or photographing images and documents. I am doing your courses, Damien, so that I can get the skills necessary to restore/improve the images.  Other than that, just general every-day photography. I would like to take some good quality photos of my paintings.  Thank you

Unfortunately, the Samsung ST150F does not support RAW. You’ll either need to select the highest quality JPEG option or rent a camera that shoots Raw, like a DSLR. 

Good quality photos of paintings doesn't require much camera-body wise, though I do recommend using a Macro Lens and a tripod with cable release. Why a Macro Lens? Because of the sharpness that those lenses have. Cable Release allows you to fire the camera without touching it, thereby cutting down on camera shake.

So what kind of budget are we working with?

• Like 1

Hi Brian - thank you for your message and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

My budget is tiny, really - (I'm a pensioner) - so I was hoping you could give me some indication of what type of camera I should look for and then I will go on Gumtree and see what I can find.  The trouble is, I have no idea what kind of camera I should be looking for that does Raw, because this is all quite new to me. 

Kind regards

Dianna Cameron

All DSLR cameras shoot raw; it's the little Point and Shoot Cameras you will have the most trouble with shooting RAW. When choosing a DSLR camera, you aren't just buying into a name-brand but a lens system. Both Canon and Nikon have been around a really long time and have the most choices when it comes to lenses.

I'm assuming that Gumtree is similar to Craig's List here in the States. Before we go hunting, is there a local store that you can physically hold either a Nikon or Canon camera? Not to purchase, but to give it a test drive...see which feels better in your hands. Go into the menu system and play around. I personally like Nikon's Menu Structure and can't stand Canon's.

Now DSLRs are not cheap. Even on the used market, you are looking at spending at least $500-$700. P&S cameras that shoot RAW are even more expensive. The good news is you can get a good deal on a entry-level camera as people tend to upgrade. As I've said before, you don't need much. So before we get ahead of ourselves, go for a test drive and report back. Then I will be able to advise you a bit better.

HI Brian --- thank you for such helpful and comprehensive information.  I will have a look on Gumtree (Damien will know what it is - and yes, it is like Craig's List) and see what is on offer.  I'm grateful for your advice and I will let you know what I've found and run it by you before purchasing.  Dianna Cameron