Should I be using sRGB or AdobeRGB? I got a new monitor and I'm having troubles.

So sorry to frustrate you! I clicked and moved on. But neither box applied to me as mine did not already look like that, and it didn't give me the option to change until I went through all of the steps and tried to save. Then I saw that the box was written as yours was. 

Will I be making that change for every photo going forward that I want to edit? Switching it from AdobeRGB to sRGB? Or is there a way to do a whole batch? Because as you know when I open the jpgs from my hard drive they are all in AdobeRGB. 

I thought I was being pretty thorough but its late and I have been at it all day so its possible I missed something. I will go through it all again tomorrow morning from the top and see what I missed with regards to switching them over one by one or batch... I apologize if you thought I wasn't actually reading everything. I most certainly don't want to be wasting your valuable time. I won't be doing any editing until Wednesday after I get my calibrator anyway... will you be available to help me Wednesday should I need it? 

i am going through the calibration process and when it tells me to set my brightness and its telling me a brightness of 120cd/m^2 and 5800 white point. The brightness on my monitor is 1-10 so I have no idea where to put it. And is white point the same as color temp because my options are 5000 or 6500 or 9300 or user define. Also, its a bit darker right now than it will normally be while editing, if that makes a difference. Thank you! 

I am adjusting brightness according to prints and its looking the best around 4.2 - sound on the low side or sound ok? I know you said that it will appear very dim but just wanted to make sure before moving forward. 

i just finished, and i made my room as dark as i possibly could. having said that, i had to adjust my brightness all the way down to 2.1 to get it within 4% of the 80 mark. does that seem ok to have it be so low?

and i am assuming that my monitor stays on standard? i was under the impression my monitor was supposed to be set at sRGB like my camera and my photoshop? just double checking. 

and one more question is.... if my prints were edited from an (un)calibrated screen and my lab did no color correction, why am i trying to match my prints to my now calibrated monitor? just trying to better understand that part.... 

3 minutes ago, Chantel Allen said:

and i am assuming that my monitor stays on standard? i was under the impression my monitor was supposed to be set at sRGB

No, it's actually quite rare for a monitor's best setting to be sRGB.  If Standard gave you the best result, that's where it stays.

6 minutes ago, Chantel Allen said:

i just finished, and i made my room as dark as i possibly could. having said that, i had to adjust my brightness all the way down to 2.1 to get it within 4% of the 80 mark. does that seem ok to have it be so low?

Wait, you're scaring me.  You had good bright light while  comparing prints, yes?

my prints seems to be a bit warmer than my screen, but again, my prints were printed when I was probably on AdobeRGB in camera and using an old monitor and (un)calibrated screen. which is why i asked the previous question about why do i try to match these prints. having said that, i am happy with the turnout of the prints.... 

i am trying to not concentrate on what the viewer looks like, only PS. but i have never seen it so different before. and when i look at photos that i posted on fb, they look horrible. really washed out... but they do not look that way on my phone?? 

PS vs Viewer.jpg

viewer 1 shot vs viewer folder.jpg

i am having a hard time thinking that ALL the work i was turning out was so bad before? i would like think at least someone would have asked why it was so washed out. or it would look that way on my phone or tablet...