the point of saving the calibration settings

That's the profile that all your software uses to display colour correctly!

It's true that YOU can't do anything with the profile, but you're not meant to.  It sits in the system, and Lightroom and other colour-managed programs refer to it when they're displaying colour.

No no no.  The cheapest range of calibrators do do that (name and save automatically, without user intervention) and it's a hassle.  It means that you can't calibrate dual displays, for one thing.  It also means you can't save profiles with different calibration settings while you're testing for best calibration results.

Also remember that your computer is clever enough to remember different profiles for different monitors, even if you unplug them to use a different monitor for a while, then plug the original one back in.  That kind of functionality requires unique profile names.

If you're calibrating dual (or more) monitors, you need to be able to name the profile to tell you which monitor it belongs to.  This is important for checking (in the Display control panel) to confirm that Windows is recognising a profile, if you need to do any troubleshooting.

If you're doing a series of calibration tests, you need to be able to tell yourself what settings you used.  Remember that these settings won't always be in-system ones that the software could automatically pick up and include in the name for you.  They might be settings you used on the actual monitor.

And now that I think about it, I guess one of the most poignant reasons is that some people prefer to save their profile with the date (thereby gradually filling their system with out-of-date profiles) and some people prefer to save it without a date (thereby replacing the same profile each month).  Software that automatically made that choice for us would only please half of us, if you know what I mean.

*that* i can understand. i hate that Lightroom merrily saves and saves every catalog backup, without the user realizing that each one can be 1GB or more, thus quickly eating up a lot of HD space.

but at least Lr allows the user to restore an old catalog. AFAIK, ColorMunki does not allow its users to do the same, so i don't see the value of tagging the prole with the date

Lr works for me. i love it. Ps is far too complex for my needs. i also have ON1 Photo Raw and might give it a try.. mainly for its better healing tools and layering capabilities.

I would be good to be able to see an older profile... esp to compare it against a new one and to choose to revert to it. would be nice if ColorMunki supported this capability