Cache2 files

I just had a new laptop last Christmas, if I ask for another now I'll be toast!  I'm only a hobby photographer so I don't want to spend too much.  I'd be interested though to learn if there are any external SSD harddrives available similar to your suggestion above? - not sure I want to take apart a newish laptop.  Thanks for the answer though

You don’t need a laptop, just have the HD replaced and the data cloned from your old HD to the new one. The problem is with laptops today, they install small HDs to keep the COGS low for the Manufacturers. Then we get users on a normal basis that have problems and are worried about freeing up 8-10GB of space because they have a microscopic main HD. 250GB is bad, 128GB is even worse. If you are worried about 8GB, then you have a bigger problem. 

Now, if you are just using your computer for general computing and web browsing / wasting time on FB, checking e-mail, etc., then a 250GB HD is fine. It’s just for those that do creative work, e.g., Photo-Editing, Video-Editing, Graphic-Design, et. al., do you need more horsepower. That usually involves extra RAM and a larger HD. 

Thanks Brian for the answer, I have found an external ssd drive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU-PA1T0B-Portable-SSD-1TB/dp/B074M774TW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=external%2Bssd&qid=1573651364&sr=8-3&th=1

Would this work for me would you know?  I've tried getting hold of Lenovo but they are constantly busy

Well that HD would be fine for an external, it isn’t going to solve your main problem of the internal drive being too small. With a 256GB HD, you need to be hyper-anal on what is installed on that drive. Just the OS and one or two programs. That’s it. No data files, photos, or sessions. 

Bottom line, purchase a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD drive and have a local computer-shop clone/replace your main drive. In the long run, this will be your best bet.