Frames in PS

I'm trying to create a frame in PS.  I googled and found these instructions so I am assuming it is possible but it isn't working. I can create the frame but can't get it to convert to a shape.  When I  right click shape layer created with frame tool there is no option to "convert to frame" therefore no width or height.  I also attached a screenshot showing the frame and what it looks like in layers panel and one showing what I get when I right click.  Hopefully I am just clicking on the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Create frames with the Frame Tool

1. Select the Frame Tool frame-tool-icon.png from the Tools panel or press 'K'.
  2. In the Tool options bar, choose a rectangular frame rectangular-frame.png or an elliptical frame elliptical-frame.png.
  3. Draw a new frame on the canvas.

Convert any shape or text to a frame

1. In the Layers panel, right-click (Win) / Control-click (Mac) a text layer or a shape layer and choose Convert To Frame from the context-menu.
  2. In the New Frame dialog, enter a Name and set a specific Width and Height for the frame. 
  3. Click OK.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 7.18.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 7.19.47 PM.png

I figured out a method.  I think the above doesn't work because an image isn't a "shape".  Instead I used a drop shadow in FX and it is working.  I just want to put a tiny frame around each/some of the pictures in my photo book in PS.  I have spreads with 2-8 pictures per  spread and want frames on each picture not the whole spread as 1.  Make sense?  These are not totally sharp on outside edge but think they are ok unless you have a better method.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 8.12.01 PM.png

• Like 1

I thought I tried stroke first but I failed to find the "outside".  I believe it makes a sharper edge than the drop shadows so will use stroke.  I can't tell a difference in multiply & darken in this case.  What blend mode do you suggest?  Thanks!  I prefer the stroke!

Sigh.  Wish I had found this earlier.  I have 90 pages done so not redoing them but will on the remaining pages.  Back to why my corners aren't square like yours.  Can you screen shot me your "border & drop shadow settings"?  I presume the same settings should work whether I have each image on its own layer or 3 images on 1.  This is my stroke settings.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 10.32.09 PM.png

And yes, I was going to go back and find the first it referred to.  Thanks for link.  Maybe I'll get my answer in that tutorial?