What equipment to get for editing

Hello, this is a question for Brian- was referred to you by Damien Symonds. 

I currently edit my raw photos on my I pad using photoshop express. I need to take the next step and get set up to take Damien's classes. Please can you advise what I should buy. Thanks Kerry

OK, believe it or not, this is pretty straightforward.

These days, you'll want to avoid the 21.5" iMacs. I know they are less expensive, but Apple really has crippled them and you can not upgrade the RAM yourself and as for a professional to do it, it's pretty complicated. They also use slower components in them as well. For just a few hundred more, you can get a MUCH better setup. That should last you a good 5-7 years.

I recommend the base 27" iMac model. For you in Australia that's the A$2799.00 version:

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 8.19.21 AM.png

There isn't that much of a difference between the A$2799 model and A$3099, except for the Fusion Drive upgrade. A Fusion Drive is a Hard Drive that has a small capacity SSD Drive built into it, which makes things faster to load. Since that's the ONLY difference between the two, it's not worth a $300 price difference.

• Like 1

Thank you Brian,but for that price I would want to pass it on to my grandchildren, 5-7,years? Does it then need replacing? 

What about a laptop, do they have the same power as a pc? I like the idea of portable editing, thanks for your time

Thanks for the reply Christina, it's all a bit of a minefield for me.I thought a Mac would be better for me as the interface would be familiar as I'm using my I pad only at the moment.

2 hours ago, Kerry Lush said:

Thanks for the reply Christina, it's all a bit of a minefield for me.I thought a Mac would be better for me as the interface would be familiar as I'm using my I pad only at the moment.

If you're only using your iPad at the moment, any full-fledged computer interface will be a learning curve. :)  There might be some small marginal benefits to sticking with Apple, but not (in my opinion) worth the extra thousands of dollars.  Just something to consider!

• Like 1

A proper Mac Laptop for photo editing, that would be an expensive MBP. In the US, you are looking at around $3600. Australian, that would be over A$4200. Or more. Which is INSAINE to spend on a laptop  

Laptops only last around 3 years. Of course there are folks out there that have laptops around the 5 year mark, but around 3-4 years is when things start "locking up," "it's so slow..." Etc. 

We live in a throw-away society. There is no passing down technology anymore. This stuff is built to get you in the market sooner than later. In addition, they don't use Lead in the solder anymore. So you have crappy solder joints which makes things break so much easier. Things just don't last. 

I've been a computer tech for the last 23+ Years. The plastics used are SO CHEAP...it's on everything, from computers to printers, to camera bodies to cars, the quality just isn't there like it was 10+ years ago. 

• Like 1

Steve Jobs before he died was complaining on how people were still on Macs that were 8 years old. He wanted people in the market sooner. So then Apple decided to cripple the 21.5" from 2012 to present. Apple wants you to "Go Big or Go Home." The really want you to buy that A$3500 model. Not the base one. The expensive one. 

As for the 5-7 years, that's how long things last before you are out shopping for a new computer. It seems that every 36 months manufactures come out with the latest "Wow!" Feature/Gizmo, around 5 years you think about upgrading to make things go a little faster (more RAM, bigger HD, etc.) At around the 7 year mark, current software requirements exceed your "old" computer. At 7 years, things will "run," but not "run well." 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. It's a big decision. After reading posts on this site I'm worried I will just be too thick to use a computer at all! I can just about navigate Facebook and send an e mail

I have $5000. I will also need to buy the photoshop thing plus Damien's classes, plus the calibrater thing. What if I buy all this stuff and dont understand how to use it? Forgive me, I'm a hairdresser so technicalities are not my strong point.

all I know is that editing and storing photos on my I pad cannot continue!

any help an advice is greatly apreciated :)

Although I'm absolutely confident I'll be able to help you learn the software, I can't help sharing the crux of your concern.  I wish you'd take the sensible approach and get a PC.  Just because you have all that money, doesn't mean you should carelessly waste it.  Why not get everything you need, and still have half the money for a holiday or something?

Macs are a waste of money.

• Like 1

Before buying anything, do you have an Apple Store or a store that has Apple's products on display? Why not give things a test drive? Both on a Mac and Windows Machine. See how easy they are to operate for you. You might like a Mac, or might buy a Windows computer. In either case, I would try both systems out if you can. Then make a decision that is best for you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kerry Lush said:

Forgive me, I'm a hairdresser so technicalities are not my strong point.

This frustrates me so much when people think this way. The whole "I'm not Tech Savvy," "I'm too stupid when it comes to this stuff..." etc. way of thinking. You have failed even before you purchased anything. Being a hairdresser has nothing to do with your ability to learn. Don't sell yourself short. Take things one at a time.

Just think, there was a time you couldn't feed yourself, walk, go to the restroom, write a sentence, etc. You had to learn how to do those things. Same thing goes with a computer. Start small. Read books. Watch YouTube videos...there is just so much stuff out there now these days teaching you stuff for free.

when my I pad is full I put all the photos in the laptop. When I tried to use it for more than this I let a virus in which locked me out and Microsoft had to unlock it for $200. So I stick with the I pad. 

We have Norton I think. I thought it would be better to get a fresh machine purely for photos and away from kids, one of the buttons has already been torn off and we don't use the e mail attached to the account as it has thousands of junk mail in it. I use a seperate e mail from my phone

Edited by Kerry Lush

Norton and McAfee are the first two programs that get circumvented. I wouldn't use either of them. LOL!! In addition, antivirus programs are subscription based these days. If you don't pay the annual fee to keep it up to date, the database that's within the program becomes out of date, which means it doesn't protect you from anything new.

Ransomeware is the new kid on the block. It's not a virus per se, and is VERY easy to catch if you aren't careful. It's good that you aren't using that laptop anymore. Once you get Ransomware, you'll need to format it (completely clear it off) and reload everything. Even then I wouldn't trust it. Ransomeware is really Evil.

There is no protection from it. You have to be very careful on what you download, what e-mail you open, even what websites you visit. I will say this, Macs are better at not catching this stuff.

• Like 1

These people are so clever. They pretended to be Microsoft and after following their " prompts" I allowed them in, only to be shut out myself, before the real Microsoft unlocked it again. Or do you think the real Microsoft are posing as hackers to make a few hundred dollars? Who knows... Brian I think you will eat your words about hairdressers not being idiots. I don't think we caught ransomwear, but thanks for the warning.

Still trying to decide between a lap top and Pc. Have done a little research. I think you are the only person who recommends a Mac, others say they are a waste of money- why do you like them better?

another question, would you go for a refurbished computer? 

Edited by Kerry Lush

Refurbished is fine, as long as you have a source to take it to to get fixed if needed. I do not recommend laptops for photo-editing. Period. But people just won't stop asking, and I'm tired of fighting/ repeating myself.

Microsoft Employees wouldn't be doing that sort of thing. Well...it's really hard to believe. Someone from Russia or Nigeria? That I can believe. If you have to pay someone to get your files back, that's Ransomeware. But in your case you didn't seem to pay the thieves, but the Microsoft Support Fee to get your computer back.

Viruses are SOOOO 1990's. People rarely get "Viruses" any more. It's more profitable to steal your identity or to lock out your computer and charge a ransome to get your stuff back. Google "Ransomeware" and all sorts of articles will pop up.