i1DP-Mac-19

< Go back to the previous step    << Go back to the beginning

Troubleshooting

If the screen is too pink or too green

I was hoping that the previous steps would give you a happy result.  But maybe even when the warmth of your screen is just right, there will be a lingering problem with pinkness or greenness.  This problem is less common, and it’s darn fiddly to overcome.  For some reason, all the standard calibration settings only concentrate on the warm/cool axis.  When you examine the presets, you’ll see they all follow a straight line between warm and cool:

xy-animation.gif

To take control over a green or pink problem with your screen, you have to manually choose specific target co-ordinates.

You probably haven’t paid much attention before now, but each calibration target has its own X and Y co-ordinates:

xy-1.png

Write down the co-ordinates of the White Point preset that has (so far) got you the closest to a satisfactory print match.  For me, it’s D65, so I’ll jot those down:

xy-2.jpg

Then choose “xy…” from the menu:

xy-3.png

And you’ll see it gives you precise control over the co-ordinates:

xy-4.png

It’s time for you to tweak the numbers (then recalibrate to check the results).

xy-5a.jpg xy-5b.jpg

WARNING: I’ve found that a little goes a long way.  Don’t make big adjustments, or your calibration will be outrageous!!!  Generally 0.005 or 0.01 at a time is enough.

In my case,  I needed my screen to be a little pinker, so I lowered the Y value and raised the X value slightly.

xy-6.png

Whatever values you choose to try, make sure you write them down!

xy-7.jpg

Go ahead and run the whole calibration process again with your new targets.  Then compare to prints and see how you went.  It’s very likely that you’ll need to do this a few times before you get it right.  When you’re finally happy, make sure you write down your X and Y values somewhere permanent!  You’ll need them again next month.

Got a good result? Go here >>
Still no good? Go here >>