Optimisation of photoshop cc

Are there any steps I can take to make photoshop run faster?  I use ccleaner to clean up my computer on a general basis I just wondered if there was anything I could do for photoshop as at times it runs more slowly than others.  I have googled it but it's quite difficult to ascertain whether the info given is viable

With today's Photoshop, you'll want to have at least 16GB of RAM, preferably more. (32GB is a good target.) That said, Adobe is relying on the GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) to help aid with performance. So if you have video that is built onto the motherboard, which doesn't have it's own dedicated GPU and Video Memory, then you have a performance hit there. In which case, you will probably need to upgrade your power supply and purchase a fancy video card with its own VIDEO MEMORY and GPU.

Depending on the model of your computer, it might not be worth going this route. If you are looking for speed, it's better to invest in a low-end gaming system and not your typical $500 off-the-shelf-special from a Big Box store. (Not implying anything, just giving an example.)

I'd start by heading to Crucial.com and run their scanning tool. It should take you to a page with your options. You can post screenshots in this thread and I should be able to translate them. RAM is fairly cheap these days, so now is a good time to buy.

You are maxed out at 8GB. Your free HD space is fine for the moment.

Save up your money and buy a new laptop, or better yet...buy a desktop!!

The long version of my above comment, is your laptop is meant for portability, not running PS efficiently. Sure it will run, but it's a laptop that has "Average" horsepower and nothing Earth-Shattering. It's fine for wasting time on Facebook, answering e-mail, writing contracts,, buying stuff on Amazon and running PS & Quickbooks to a certain degree, but like I said, it's not Earth-Shattering. If you are looking for speed, I would not invest a dime into this laptop and would look for something that has higher specs. (You are maxed out at 8GB of RAM and take the money you'd spend on a SSD Drive and put it towards a new laptop.) If you search the threads here in Ask Brian, I've answered the "What Laptop to buy..." question a bunch of times.

Personally, I do not recommend laptops for photo-editing. It's so easy to back yourself into a corner technology-wise with a laptop. A person spends all that money, only to have to fork out even more money on a completely different laptop because you can't upgrade the damn thing. It's like buying a stock Honda Civic and then wanting to off-road race in the "Baja 1000." Or go "Muddin' in a Prius. LOL!!

• Like 1

:-) thanks for the info.  the screenshot below is from a tower I have that I keep meaning to sell as I don't really use it that much.  It was supposed to be fast when I bought it.  how does the spec look for this?  are there any day to day activities that I could be doing just as a general maintenance kind of thing?  like using ccleaner for my pc to keep things moving along anyway?

crucial.com report.JPG

I'd increase the RAM to 32GB and install a traditional 4TB 7200 RPM HD

So look to purchase two 16GB kits (which will take it to 40GB) from Crucial.  The 4TB drive is for the Ps Scratch Disk and your files and photos. You install the programs on the C Drive, which is probably a SSD.