cost of indecision - Selecting between Mac and Windows system

Hey Brian, 

I'm currently on MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013). Bought in 2013. 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I'd say it is holding up and i can do photoshop work on it but i never had success with refined edge section of brush.Nothing happens for long long time.  I'm not able to proceed on advanced level class because my masks are never that refined and accurate and i end up getting pretty frustrated and giving up things all together. 

Weekly basis i get 3-4 hours for photography and i'm not able to provide edited pictures quickly and indecision is costing me a lot. Inspired by @Damien Symonds article (https://www.damiensymonds.net/2015/07/buying-mac-or-pc.html) , i'm ready to ditch Mac system to save for mirrorless upgrade/lens i desire. 

I'd say i can buy system right now with some $2000 budget. I'm saving for $3500 but it'd take a while and that is not helping my photography. I've now photos from around 2 years ago, which i want to edit and there is no progress. 

My windows selection came up something as: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/xps-tower-special-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/cto8930w10pcfl3h?configurationid=8d334bb1-6906-41e2-a95f-49de4e37969f#features_section

But then i found refurbished section in iMac: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/GNVT9LL/A/Refurbished-27-inch-iMac-37GHz-6-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-5K-display?fnode=77cff3a1181998692f5c1f0fa1c1fb67a72ee6019761b7bac416f3eceec4f1a5ead5e1d1f1b53262795654a670fae1a1cc9484af7657a919efd9eaa94a5e28f31769499654953ab895052b5e36b036c7 

If i add good display to windows machine then they'd end up on same price bracket.

Appreciate if you can suggest, how i can balance, cost of indecision, current budget and keeping options open in future. 

Going back and forth between Windows and Mac is a PITA. When asked, my default answer is to pick a system and stick with it. 

So you could switch to Windows or stay Mac. Unfortunately, now is not the time to purchase a computer. With the trade-wars finally ending between the US and China, we are now dealing with the Covid19 Virus, which has basically shut down all computer and camera production in China and supplies are running low and its driving up the prices somewhat. 

As far as your MBP goes, you really only get 4-5 years at most out of them, so you are right on schedule for it’s replacement. That said, if you are using the stupid trackpad for photo-editing that is more than likely the cause of your masking issues. Before forking out $2000 or more, try buying a $20 Mouse and see if you have better results. ;) Or even invest in a tablet (not an iPad, a editing tablet)

Unfortunately, with Apple Refurbed products, what you see is what they have. Once that particular computer is sold, that configuration is gone. So check out the Macintosh users group and take a look at what I recommend for a Mac configuration. It’s pinned at the top. 

Mirrorless won’t make you a better photographer. It’s just a different kind of camera. I would focus more on your technique, slow down and think things through, learn how to “see” the light and nail exposure (be proficient in interpreting your histogram) before buying anything. 

it’s like buying an expensive guitar to sound like Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen. Sorry, you can’t buy your way out of things. I’ve tried. All that I accomplished is I produced lousy photos with expensive equipment. LOL! Gear made things a little easier to take the photos, but my photos didn’t improve until *I* improved. 

• Thanks 1